What causes the illusion of continuous motion in movies?

• Thread starter wunderkind
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physiology
In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of movie viewing and how it relates to the physiology of the human brain. It is explained that the brain fills in the gaps between still frames, making the movie appear as a continuous flow. This is due to the response time of the eye and the chemical cascade triggered by light. The conversation also mentions the use of a black frame in movies to prevent viewers from noticing the movement between frames. The overall explanation for this phenomenon is attributed to neural firing rates and the brain's ability to perceive motion at a certain speed.
wunderkind
evil physiology problem

here's a really evil physiology problem:
Why is it when people watch a movie, they see a continuously running picture, when really a movie is composed of a set of still frames? What physiological process is involved in this?

I really am stuck on this one, and I would appreciate it if anyone can help me! Thanx!

Biology news on Phys.org
I don't know the physiology of it, but I guess real life is the same thing as a movie. Any movement you make is really comprised of a set of smaller movements. Nifty.

P.S. I could give you the answer "oh beause the frames move faster than you can recognize, so it just looks fluid because it's like 30 frames a second or whatever", but I'm sure you are looking for a better answer than that :)

thanx!

Thanx! I really appreciated the help!

Your brain fills in the gaps.

It's even worse if you watch color TV. All that is really there are three very small tiny round dots. One red, one green and one blue. The rest of the screen is black.
It is the response time of your eye that does the trick.
Light triggers a chemical cascade that your brain ends up interperting as light.
That cascade take time to complete and then reset.
Any changes that occur after the cascade starts are ignored.
Note that for a movie there is a black frame that appears while they move a new picture frame into place for viewing. This is done because you would actually notice
the movement otherwise. Black is no light so it does not trigger any new cascades.
Hope this helps.

The short answer is neural firing rates. Perception appears to be analog at more than about 20 frames per second.

Related to What causes the illusion of continuous motion in movies?

1. What is "Help Evil physiology problem"?

"Help Evil physiology problem" is a phrase used to describe a situation where a person or group is seeking assistance in understanding the physiological processes of an evil or malevolent entity. This could include studying the physical and biological characteristics, behaviors, and functions of said entity.

2. Why is it important to study the physiology of evil entities?

Studying the physiology of evil entities can provide valuable insights into their nature and behavior, which can aid in developing strategies for controlling or defeating them. It can also help in understanding the origins and potential motivations of these entities.

3. What are some common physiological characteristics of evil entities?

Some common physiological characteristics of evil entities may include heightened strength, speed, and endurance, as well as abnormal physical features such as horns, claws, or fangs. They may also possess heightened senses, such as enhanced sight or smell.

4. How do scientists go about studying the physiology of evil entities?

Studying the physiology of evil entities can involve a variety of methods, such as conducting experiments, analyzing biological samples, and observing their behavior in controlled environments. It may also involve studying historical accounts or myths surrounding these entities.

5. Can studying the physiology of evil entities be dangerous?

Yes, studying the physiology of evil entities can be dangerous as it involves interacting with potentially malevolent and dangerous beings. It is important for scientists to take necessary precautions, such as working in secure facilities and utilizing protective equipment, to ensure their safety while conducting research.