What causes the generation of oxygen in a PbS and H2O2 reaction?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of oxygen ions to oxidize sulfides, but the speaker points out that simple burning can also achieve this. The need for an acidic medium and the solubility of sulfides are also mentioned as factors in the reaction. The idea of protonating S2- is suggested as a way to shift the dissolution of sulfides to the right, and the conversation ends with a note about reactions in the liquid phase being faster.
Vriska
I don't get it, how did the sulfur get an oxygen, I'm unable to find any any half reaction wherein a oxygen ion is generated. So what is happening here?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You can oxidize sulfides just by roasting them in the air, there is no solution, no ions there at all. Why do you think you need "oxygen ions" for anything?

Borek said:
You can oxidize sulfides just by roasting them in the air, there is no solution, no ions there at all. Why do you think you need "oxygen ions" for anything?

Idea was that you'd need electrons first from PbS to start the reaction. you'd have some PbS -> PbS(2+) + 2e. Now you could have H2O2 accept electrons as an oxidising agent. But nowhere I'm seeing any half reaction that could put an oxygen there and plug that +2 charge.

But now you put it that way, it looks like simple burning. But why is acidic medium required there then? what if bubble carbon monoxide through hydrogen peroxide can I expect CO2, will this be as exothermic as burning CO?

Vriska said:
But why is acidic medium required there then?

What do you know about solubility of sulfides? Can you think about a way of shifting the dissolution to the right?

Borek said:
What do you know about solubility of sulfides? Can you think about a way of shifting the dissolution to the right?

I'm unafraid i don't follow, PbS is apparently quite insoluble in water. I'm not sure how acid will help unless there's an hydroxide on the right side which will be eaten by the acid.

What about protonating S2-?

Borek said:

Woah, amazing. thank you!

Borek said:

Heyyyyy wait a second what does dissolution have to do with this reaction?

Reactions in the liquid phase are much faster.

Likes Vriska

Related to What causes the generation of oxygen in a PbS and H2O2 reaction?

1. What is the balanced chemical equation for the reaction between PbS and H2O2?

The balanced chemical equation for this reaction is PbS + H2O2 → PbSO4 + H2O.

2. What are the products of the reaction between PbS and H2O2?

The products of this reaction are lead(II) sulfate (PbSO4) and water (H2O).

3. What type of reaction is PbS + H2O2 → PbSO4 + H2O?

This is a single replacement reaction, also known as a single displacement reaction.

4. How do you know that this reaction is a redox reaction?

This reaction involves the transfer of electrons between the reactants, which is characteristic of a redox (reduction-oxidation) reaction.

5. What are some practical applications of this reaction?

This reaction can be used in the production of lead(II) sulfate, which has various industrial applications such as in the manufacturing of pigments and storage batteries. It can also be used in the treatment of wastewater to remove heavy metals.