What Causes Semiconductors to Lack Fermi Surfaces?

In summary, the Fermi level of semiconductors falls within the bandgap, meaning that there are no available electron states at this energy level. This results in semiconductors not having Fermi surfaces, even at non-zero temperatures where there may be thermal excitation to the conduction band. The Fermi level is related to the Fermi energy at 0K and can be expressed using the Fermi-Dirac distribution. The reason for semiconductors not having Fermi surfaces is primarily due to the Fermi level falling within the bandgap.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all

I can't seem to figure out, why semicodunctors do not have Fermi surfaces. At T=0K, there are no electrons in the conduction band, and thus there is no Fermi surface - all OK here.

But at T > 0K, there are electrons in the conduction band. Why is it then that it is said that "semiconductors do not have Fermi surfaces"?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the Fermi energy level falls in the bandgap (where no electron states can exist) of a semiconductor, there is no Fermi surface.

But the Fermi energy is the energy of the highest occupied state - so if we have T>0 K, there will be thermal excitation up to the conduction band. This implies that the Fermi energy lies in the conduction band?

I'm sorry, I wrote Fermi energy level but it should be just Fermi level which is not the same thing.

Also,the Fermi energy is the energy of the highest occupied state at T=0K.

Oh, you mean the chemical potential. But does it make a difference that it lies in the energy gap? I cannot see the connection between the chemical potential and the Fermi surface. And thank you for helping me; I really appreciate it.

Niles said:
Oh, you mean the chemical potential. But does it make a difference that it lies in the energy gap? I cannot see the connection between the chemical potential and the Fermi surface. And thank you for helping me; I really appreciate it.

Not quite, the chemical potential is just [tex]\mu[/tex]. The Fermi level comes from the Fermi-Dirac distribution:

[tex]
f(E)=\frac{1}{1+\exp\left[\frac{E-\mu}{k_BT}\right]}
[/tex]

In relation to the conduction band, this is expressed as

[tex]
f(E)=\frac{1}{1+\exp\left[\frac{K-\zeta}{k_BT}\right]}
[/tex]

where [tex]K[/tex] is the difference between the Fermi and conduction energies and [tex]\zeta[/tex] is the Fermi level:

[tex]
\zeta=\zeta_0\left[1-\frac{\pi^2}{12}\left(\frac{k_BT}{\zeta_0}\right)^2-\frac{\pi^4}{80}\left(\frac{k_BT}{\zeta_0}\right)^4+\cdots\right]
[/tex]

with [tex]\zeta_0[/tex] being the Fermi energy at 0K. So, depending on the temperature, the Fermi level can/will be in the bandgap, hence saying that semiconductors do not have Fermi surfaces.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_level, then [itex]\zeta[/itex] is the difference between the Fermi energy and the conduction band energy. Is this wrong?

I haven't heard of the "Fermi level" before, and it is not intuitive for me, unfortunately. Is there a physical explanation of why semiconductors do not have Fermi surfaces (apart from the fact that their Fermi level is in the band gap), just like there are explanations of why metals have Fermi surfaces (i.e. they have free electrons)?

Niles said:
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_level, then [itex]\zeta[/itex] is the difference between the Fermi energy and the conduction band energy. Is this wrong?[\QUOTE]

Yes. [tex]K[/tex] was defined as the difference between the conduction band energy and the Fermi energy while [tex]\zeta_0[/tex] is defined as the Fermi energy with the relation between the Fermi energy and the Fermi level, [tex]\zeta[/tex], as above .

Niles said:
I haven't heard of the "Fermi level" before, and it is not intuitive for me, unfortunately. Is there a physical explanation of why semiconductors do not have Fermi surfaces (apart from the fact that their Fermi level is in the band gap), just like there are explanations of why metals have Fermi surfaces (i.e. they have free electrons)?

As far as I know, the reasoning is because the Fermi level is in the bandgap. There could be something more to it that I am unaware of, but I am not sure one way or the other.

Related to What Causes Semiconductors to Lack Fermi Surfaces?

1. What is a Fermi surface in solid state physics?

A Fermi surface is a concept in solid state physics that describes the distribution of electrons in the momentum space of a material. It represents the boundary between filled and empty electron energy levels at absolute zero temperature.

2. How is the Fermi surface related to the electronic properties of a material?

The shape and size of the Fermi surface can greatly influence the electronic properties of a material, such as its electrical conductivity, magnetism, and thermal conductivity. This is because the Fermi surface determines the available energy states for electrons to move and interact in the material.

3. What factors affect the shape of the Fermi surface?

The shape of the Fermi surface is affected by various factors, including the crystal structure of the material, the number of electrons in the material, and the strength of the electron-electron interactions.

4. How is the Fermi surface experimentally determined?

The Fermi surface can be determined experimentally using techniques such as angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy (ARPES), which measures the energy and momentum of electrons in a material, or de Haas-van Alphen effect, which measures the oscillation of magnetic properties in a material as a function of magnetic field strength and direction.

5. What is the significance of the Fermi surface in understanding materials?

The Fermi surface is a crucial concept in understanding the electronic properties and behavior of materials. It allows scientists to predict and explain the behavior of electrons in different materials, which is essential in the development of new materials for various applications.