What causes quantum coherence in superconductivity and superfluidity?

In summary: This external potential assists in the formation of a coherent state, where all the electrons behave as one entity. Superconductivity and superfluidity are examples of quantum coherence, where the quantum wave functions of the particles overlap and behave as one entity on a macroscopic scale. Overall, quantum coherence refers to the collective behavior of particles that are in sync and behave as one entity, whether it is in terms of energy or structural order.
sci-guy
I have a question about quantum coherence phenomena. I understand (basically) how laser light results from light waves that are in sync. I also see how ferromagnetism results from orderly alignment of electron spin amongst iron atoms (though I've posted in another thread asking whether this is a genuine example of "quantum coherence"). And in doing some basic research on superconductivity, I kind of see how electrons move freely in the ordered lattice of supercooled conductors (e.g. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/solids/coop.html#c3 ). I haven't been able to find any explanation for superfluidity (not even sure one exists).

My question is about superconductivity (and superfluidity, if its understood):

Whereas laser light and ferromagnetism seem to result from 'quantum coherence' in terms of their energy (i.e. coherent wave forms), superconductivity (and I would assume, superfluidity) appear to result from quantum structural order (i.e. the lattice in superconductors that allows free flow of electrons). Why is this any more of an example of quantum coherence than any crystal solid, like diamond (or IS crystal an example of quantum coherence? Even snowflakes?) What exactly does the coherence refer to in superconductivity and superfluidity?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I found an answer regarding superfluidity, which not only explains the phenomenon but also clearly indicates what's "coherent":

Most commonly demonstrated in liquid helium, superfluidity occurs when the helium is cooled and some helium atoms have reached their lowest possible energy. At this point, these atoms' quantum wave functions begin to overlap so that they form a Bose-Einstein condensate, in which all the atoms behave as one large atom, and their quantum nature is manifested on the macroscopic scale.

-- http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-10-physicists-superfluid.html

So it is a wave coherence, like laser light (and ferromagnetism, if that's an accepted example).

Seeing that, I'm more doubtful that common crystals are examples of quantum coherence. There must be something more specific about the structure of superconductors that makes them examples of wave coherence. Anyone?

sci-guy said:
I think I found an answer regarding superfluidity, which not only explains the phenomenon but also clearly indicates what's "coherent":

So it is a wave coherence, like laser light (and ferromagnetism, if that's an accepted example).

Seeing that, I'm more doubtful that common crystals are examples of quantum coherence. There must be something more specific about the structure of superconductors that makes them examples of wave coherence. Anyone?

Read about ''coherent states'' and ''Bogol(i)ubov transformation''

Thanks -- I found this:

http://cnx.org/content/m22750/1.3/

It says that all Coopers pairs in a superconductor can be defined by a single wave function (because they act as bosons, not fermions). So the structural lattice is just a facilitator, not the real cause of coherence.

sci-guy said:
Thanks -- I found this:

http://cnx.org/content/m22750/1.3/

It says that all Coopers pairs in a superconductor can be defined by a single wave function (because they act as bosons, not fermions). So the structural lattice is just a facilitator, not the real cause of coherence.

The lattice simply acts as the generator of an external potential in which the electrons move.

Related to What causes quantum coherence in superconductivity and superfluidity?

1. What is quantum coherence?

Quantum coherence refers to the phenomenon in which particles or systems exhibit a synchronized behavior, even when separated by large distances. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and allows for the existence of superposition and entanglement.

2. How is quantum coherence different from classical coherence?

Classical coherence refers to the property of waves or systems being in phase, while quantum coherence involves multiple quantum states coexisting and interacting with each other. Quantum coherence also allows for the possibility of interference and non-local correlations, which are not possible in classical systems.

3. What are some examples of quantum coherence phenomena?

Some examples of quantum coherence phenomena include superposition, entanglement, quantum tunneling, and quantum interference. These phenomena have been observed in experiments with photons, electrons, and other quantum particles.

4. How is quantum coherence relevant to technology and everyday life?

Quantum coherence is essential for many modern technologies, such as quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensors. It also plays a crucial role in photosynthesis and the functioning of biological systems. However, it is still a relatively new field of study, and its potential applications are still being explored.

5. What are the challenges in studying and utilizing quantum coherence?

One of the main challenges in studying and utilizing quantum coherence is the issue of decoherence, in which the delicate quantum states are disrupted and lose their coherence due to interactions with the surrounding environment. This makes it difficult to maintain and manipulate quantum coherence for practical applications. Additionally, the behavior of quantum systems can be counterintuitive and unpredictable, making it challenging to understand and control them.