What causes interference with HDTV over-the-air reception?

• Thread starter Johnnyallen
  • Start date
In summary: The antenna sits on a window sill which is about 8 inches above ground level. This means that you are a lossy reflector at HDTV transmission frequencies. This can cause problems with your reception. One solution is to get an antenna that is specifically designed for HDTV transmission. Alternatively, you could try moving the antenna to a higher location.
Johnnyallen
I have an HDTV rabbit ears antenna with a signal booster to receive local HDTV stations. Making matters worse is the fact that I live in a basement apartment. The antenna sits on a window sill which is about 8 inches above ground level.
I have to move the ears and antenna frequently to tune in certain stations especially in hot weather.
My question: why does my body affect signal strength?
BTW Remember the good old days of analogue TV when you could tune to an empty channel and watch the Cosmic Microwave Background noise.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Johnnyallen said:
because it capacitively loads the antenna

i used to have similar problems with FM radio when I lived on a boat, and the antenna was at, or slightly below, sea level. Based on that, I would guess that anything you can do to raise the antenna above ground will improve things. Even 4 inches might make a big difference, especially on rainy days.

Mention it to your landlord. He might offer help.

Johnnyallen said:
I have an HDTV rabbit ears antenna with a signal booster to receive local HDTV stations. Making matters worse is the fact that I live in a basement apartment. The antenna sits on a window sill which is about 8 inches above ground level.
I have to move the ears and antenna frequently to tune in certain stations especially in hot weather.

Is there a window like that on the opposite wall that you can try? It sounds like you could benefit from an outdoor amplified antenna.

Johnnyallen said:
One issue is multipath -- you are a lossy reflector at HDTV transmission frequencies.

i'd say go to this site and type in your address
https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps
it'll show you all the stations you're apt to receive
click on the call letters for its direction and the channel number it actually broadcasts on.(which may not be the same channel number it's known by.)

You might be able to make a couple of antennas for different frequencies that you could switch into your amplifier with something like this

upload_2018-9-5_7-15-11.png

that image is from Home Depot but plenty of places sell them

If you're getting by with rabbit ears you'd almost surely benefit from an antenna made for your specific stations. Look up "Folded Dipole"
i made one and hid it behind a drapery with decent results
but to get the weaker stations reliably i had to move it up to the roof.

TV channel frequencies here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_television_frequencies

good luck !

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-5_7-15-11.png
    upload_2018-9-5_7-15-11.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 522
jim hardy said:
channel number it actually broadcasts on.(which may not be the same channel number it's known by.)
I haven't been paying attention to channel allocation politics for a while, but now I see that many stations are going to change the channel they actually broadcast on, starting next year.

In my area at least, it looks like most of the changes will take place next August (2019). Fortunately, all except three stations are staying in the same band (UHF versus high-VHF) so hopefully this won't affect my reception for those stations except maybe for having to make my TiVo "re-scan" the channels. But the TiVo has been notifying me about various changes in the channel lineup automatically all along, so maybe it will also pick these up automatically.

Two stations are disappearing as independent channels. One is a state-run PBS station whose territory overlaps with another, stronger one in the same network. The other is owned by the same company as another station in this area, so I suppose they'll simply share the same channel going forwards. The one that's disappearing is already carried as a sub-channel of the other one, in addition to its own transmitter.

One station is moving from UHF (16) to low VHF (2) which means it will disappear as far as I'm concerned, because my antenna setup doesn't receive low VHF (2-6). But I never watch that station anyway, so I won't miss it.

Last edited:
Directional aerials typically work much better than rabbit ears if you only have to point at one transmitter. Size and height matters.

Likes dlgoff
What that fcc.gov site shows for me - only two channels 8 and 19
upload_2018-9-5_15-3-36.png

My home made two channel Yagi , specific for channels 8 and 19

antenna5-copy-2-jpg.jpg

works quite well only about twelve feet up in the air.
My two stations are near one another so a single boom would have worked as well pointed between them. ..

old jim

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-5_15-3-36.png
    upload_2018-9-5_15-3-36.png
    53.8 KB · Views: 462
  • antenna5-copy-2-jpg.jpg
    antenna5-copy-2-jpg.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 384
Likes dlgoff and nsaspook
berkeman said:
One issue is multipath -- you are a lossy reflector at HDTV transmission frequencies.
Johnnyallen said:
BTW Remember the good old days of analogue TV when you could tune to an empty channel and watch the Cosmic Microwave Background noise.
Reception will fluctuate because the received signal is made up of several components coming from reflecting objects, such as cars, houses, trees and your own body. These add together in random and varying phase. It is probable the because of your low location, a direct signal is not being received.
I think you would find an improvement for UHF if you can use a log periodic antenna (see Wiki no doubt). This has a very clean pattern and covers a wide band of frequencies, and will reduce the number of multipath signals.

Likes dlgoff
Also, find out if the desired transmitter is horizontally or vertically polarised and rotate the antenna accordingly.

Related to What causes interference with HDTV over-the-air reception?

1. What is "HDTV over-the-air reception"?

"HDTV over-the-air reception" refers to the ability to receive high-definition television (HDTV) signals using an antenna rather than a cable or satellite subscription. This allows viewers to access local channels in HD quality without the need for a monthly fee.

2. How does HDTV over-the-air reception work?

HDTV over-the-air reception works by using an antenna to pick up digital TV signals that are transmitted by local broadcast stations. These signals are then converted into the high-resolution picture and sound that is displayed on your TV.

3. What equipment do I need for HDTV over-the-air reception?

In order to receive HDTV over-the-air, you will need an HDTV with a built-in digital tuner or a separate digital converter box. You will also need an antenna, which can be either indoor or outdoor depending on your location and signal strength.

4. What channels can I receive with HDTV over-the-air reception?

The channels you can receive with HDTV over-the-air reception will depend on your location and the strength of the signals in your area. Generally, you can expect to receive major broadcast networks such as ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox, as well as local channels and some additional subchannels.

5. Are there any disadvantages to HDTV over-the-air reception?

One potential disadvantage of HDTV over-the-air reception is that your channel options may be limited compared to cable or satellite. Additionally, the strength of your signal can be affected by weather conditions and physical obstructions such as buildings or trees. However, many people find that the cost savings and access to local channels make HDTV over-the-air reception a worthwhile option.