What Causes Energy Loss in Cables?

In summary, the person is studying transformers for an exam and has a question about the answers B and C. They are confused about which one is true and would like an explanation. The response is that B is true and the length of the wire affects its resistance. The person now understands that the current must be the same throughout the circuit.
salihdemir
Hello,

I am studying transformers now for the exam and I came across this question. It made a confusion in my mind. I took the photo of the question and put it into attachment.

The answers B and C looks very similar to each other and in my humble opinion both of them are true. I would be very happy if somebody explains which is true and why.

Thank you very much.

Salih

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 428
Physics news on Phys.org
Analyze C using Kirchhoff's circuit laws.

B is true. And the longer the wire is the bigger the resistance will be.

Thank you, I understand now, the current must be the same everywhere. I thought in the first that because the current is being used in the long leeds, it is decreasing. But I understand that this is a misconception.

Hello Salih,

Thank you for your question. I can understand why the answers B and C may seem similar to you. Both statements mention energy loss in cables, but there is a subtle difference between the two.

Answer B states that energy loss in cables is due to resistance, which is correct. When electricity flows through a cable, it encounters resistance, which causes some of the energy to be converted into heat and lost. This is known as resistive heating.

On the other hand, answer C states that energy loss in cables is due to leakage, which is also true but in a different context. Leakage refers to the loss of energy through the insulation or coating of the cable. This can happen if the cable is damaged or if the insulation is not of high quality. In this case, the energy is not lost due to resistance, but rather because it is escaping through the insulation.

Both resistance and leakage can contribute to energy loss in cables, but they are two different mechanisms. Therefore, answer B is more accurate in explaining the cause of energy loss in cables.

I hope this explanation clears up any confusion you may have had. Good luck on your exam!

Best,

Related to What Causes Energy Loss in Cables?

What is energy loss in cables?

Energy loss in cables refers to the decrease in electrical or thermal energy that occurs as electricity or heat travels through a cable. This loss is due to several factors, including resistance, leakage, and impedance.

Why does energy loss occur in cables?

Energy loss occurs in cables due to the inherent properties of the materials used in the cable's construction. These materials have a certain level of resistance, which causes some of the energy to be converted into heat instead of being transmitted to its destination.

What are the consequences of energy loss in cables?

The consequences of energy loss in cables can include reduced efficiency, increased operating costs, and potential damage to the cable. This can lead to power outages, decreased performance, and even safety hazards.

How can energy loss in cables be minimized?

Energy loss in cables can be minimized through various methods such as using materials with lower resistance, increasing the size of the cable to reduce current density, and implementing efficient cable routing and management practices.

What are some common causes of energy loss in cables?

Some common causes of energy loss in cables include poor cable design, high operating temperatures, overloading, and inadequate maintenance. External factors such as environmental conditions and electromagnetic interference can also contribute to energy loss.