What causes Bragg planes in materials?

In summary: This is the origin of the Bragg reflection. So, in summary, Bragg planes are planes in a crystal that contain a significant number of atoms and are responsible for the Bragg reflection of matter waves. This reflection occurs when the wavelength of the incident wave is much larger than the individual atoms, causing them to act as a uniform electric field and produce a synchronized reradiation.
ninevolt
I am having trouble understanding what exactly Bragg planes are physically.
I understand how they behave, in that they act like mirrors and reflect matter waves, but what exactly is the wave bouncing off of?

for instance
jen%201.png

I can guarantee any physics textbook always has a picture like this, with the light bouncing off of what it seems to be nothing physical, not an atom, just the Bragg plane. I am really having trouble swallowing what exactly causes the Bragg plane. Or is it something that we just accept like electrons not emitting radiation in atoms even though they seem to be accelerating?

Physics news on Phys.org
ninevolt said:
I am having trouble understanding what exactly Bragg planes are physically.
I understand how they behave, in that they act like mirrors and reflect matter waves, but what exactly is the wave bouncing off of?

for instance
jen%201.png

I can guarantee any physics textbook always has a picture like this, with the light bouncing off of what it seems to be nothing physical, not an atom, just the Bragg plane. I am really having trouble swallowing what exactly causes the Bragg plane. Or is it something that we just accept like electrons not emitting radiation in atoms even though they seem to be accelerating?

Well, what do you think the little spots in the diagram are? Reflection, even normal reflection off a mirror, is a scattering problem arising from groups of atoms responding to incident EM radiation - so the "bouncing off" analogy is flawed. A Bragg reflection plane is a plane in a crystal containing some significant fraction of the atoms that make up the crystal, and generally there are many such planes in a crystal depending on the symmetry of the atoms - the diagram you posted shows several, there are many more including many that are tilted into and out of the plane of the diagram. There's nothing unphysical or imaginary about them.

So are you saying that in real life the wave will reflect off of the atoms in the plane? And that macroscopically the atoms are close enough together to constitute the Bragg plane?

If this is the case, I still do not understand why the waves bounce off of the atoms as if they are in a plane. Atoms are round, and to my knowledge we would get a different reflection pattern that that of a simple plane.

Bragg reflection happens when the wavelength of the incident light is much larger than an atom. For high frequencies the light will impact a single atom, but for lower frequencies it affects many neighboring atoms. What does an individual atom see? It sees a uniform, slowly varying E field. When exposed to a uniform E field, an atom will become polarized, i.e. acquire an electric dipole moment. As the E field slowly varies, the dipole moment slowly varies, reradiating the light in all directions. Along the direction of a Bragg plane, the reradiated wavelets are in sync with each other and add constructively.

Related to What causes Bragg planes in materials?

What are Bragg planes?

Bragg planes are imaginary planes that are used to describe the arrangement of atoms in a crystal lattice. They are not physical planes, but rather a theoretical construct used in X-ray crystallography to explain the diffraction patterns observed when X-rays are shone on a crystal.

Why do Bragg planes seem imaginary?

Bragg planes seem imaginary because they are not actual physical planes that exist in a crystal. They are a mathematical representation of the periodic arrangement of atoms in a crystal lattice.

How are Bragg planes related to diffraction patterns?

Bragg planes are related to diffraction patterns because they help to explain the phenomenon of diffraction. When X-rays are shone on a crystal, they are diffracted by the crystal's lattice structure, and the diffraction pattern that is observed is a result of the interaction between the X-rays and the Bragg planes in the crystal.

Can Bragg planes be observed?

No, Bragg planes cannot be observed directly. They are a theoretical concept used to explain the diffraction patterns observed in X-ray crystallography. However, their effects can be observed through the diffraction patterns produced by X-rays on a crystal.

What is the significance of Bragg planes in crystallography?

Bragg planes are significant in crystallography because they allow scientists to determine the structure of crystals by analyzing their diffraction patterns. By understanding the arrangement of atoms in a crystal, scientists can gain insights into its properties and potential uses in various fields such as materials science and drug development.