What causes an electron to return to its ground state?

In summary, the process of spontaneous emission in quantum electrodynamics involves the interaction between the atom and the electromagnetic field, resulting in a mixing of the atom's excited state and the electromagnetic field's ground state. This process is responsible for the electron transitioning from an excited state to its ground state. The names of transitions, such as Lyman, Balmer, and Paschen, are specific to hydrogen atoms and cannot be fully solved in other atoms due to the complexity of their Hamiltonian.
Wheelwalker
I've recently realized I have completely taken for granted that electrons simply tend to be found in their ground state. I want to understand fundamentally what is causing the electron to drop back to its ground state. It feels a force from the positively charged nucleus, but if it was given exactly enough energy to hop up into an excited state, how does it lose that energy and consequently get forced back "down"?

Physics news on Phys.org
Its the process of spontaneous emission which requires QED to explain:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_emission
'In quantum electrodynamics (or QED), the electromagnetic field has a ground state, the QED vacuum, which can mix with the excited stationary states of the atom (for more information, see Ref. [2]). As a result of this interaction, the "stationary state" of the atom is no longer a true eigenstate of the combined system of the atom plus electromagnetic field. In particular, the electron transition from the excited state to the electronic ground state mixes with the transition of the electromagnetic field from the ground state to an excited state, a field state with one photon in it. Spontaneous emission in free space depends upon vacuum fluctuations to get started.'

Thanks
Bill

Thanks Bill. Looks like this will have to wait for grad school!

Bill, since you're so helpful, in a kind of related question.

I'm reading about all of those transitions, lymann, balmer, paschen, and more.
Everytime I look it up it always begins with: "in the hydrogen emmison spectrum..."

Are these names only for hydrogen? What about the other elements? Do they have different names?

This is more physical chemistry stuff - I am more of the mathematical physics bent.

But all the above are for Hydrogen atoms and are the only ones I know of - and even then I had to look up paschen. They certainly exist, but its not something I am into.

Sorry mate - must leave it up to someone else.

Thanks
Bill

Only the H-atom can be fully solved in QM, since it's a 2-particle system. For the other atoms, you can't fully solve the spectral problem of the Hamiltonian, hence you can't determine the emission spectrum theoretically => the name of the transitions are only for the H-atom.

Likes 1 person

Related to What causes an electron to return to its ground state?

1. What is the ground state of an electron?

The ground state of an electron is its lowest energy state, or the state in which it has the least amount of energy.

2. What causes an electron to move to a higher energy state?

An electron can move to a higher energy state by absorbing energy from an external source, such as heat or light.

3. What causes an electron to return to its ground state?

An electron returns to its ground state when it releases the energy it had previously absorbed, usually in the form of light or heat.

4. Can an electron skip energy levels when moving between states?

Yes, an electron can jump between energy levels without passing through all the intermediate levels. This is known as an electronic transition.

5. What determines the energy levels an electron can occupy?

The energy levels an electron can occupy are determined by the physical properties of the atom, such as its size and the number of protons in its nucleus.