What caused the Quadruple Rainbow?

• Thread starter OmCheeto
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rainbow
In summary, the photo of a quadruple rainbow taken by Amanda Curtis has generated an Internet sensation. The photo appears to show a double rainbow with a reflection rainbow. Amanda Curtis has said that she has never seen a natural set before. Many years ago, she saw what she now realizes was a supernumerary rainbow in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado.
OmCheeto
Gold Member
I've done this synthetically, in the past.
I've never seen a natural set before.
Photo of quadruple rainbow in New York colors the Internet awestruck
quad.rainbow.2015.04.21.jpg

Amanda Curtis has created an Internet sensation with this photo she took that features four -- count 'em, four -- rainbows.

I wonder what caused the second set. A lake?

Likes Andy Resnick and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
The photo makes it look like a double rainbow with a reflection rainbow. Wikipedia has a nice article on rainbows. Many years ago I saw what I now realize was a supernumerary rainbow in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. I had never seen one before and have never seen one since. But I still remember how awesome it was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow

Likes OmCheeto
Yep - looks to be a double rainbow, with a reflected one, taken near sunrise/set. IIRC I photographed a simpler one a decade ago; single and a reflected single that came off the ocean.

Edit: Found the slide film, popped on the monitor and photographed; it was a double and a fainter reflected double.

Attachments

• Double.jpg
    Double.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 570
Last edited:
Likes OmCheeto
After a bit of research, it had to have been the Long Island Sound that reflected the sunlight.

Glen.Cove.LIRR.station.jpg

The yellow pin is where Amanda was standing, and she was looking in the direction of the arrow.

Glen Cove LIRR station on Long Island, NY: 40.865189°N 73.616976°W
photo capture: 4/21/2015 6:30 am

Subductionzon said:
The photo makes it look like a double rainbow with a reflection rainbow. Wikipedia has a nice article on rainbows. Many years ago I saw what I now realize was a supernumerary rainbow in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. I had never seen one before and have never seen one since. But I still remember how awesome it was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow
I live in Colorado near the Rockies and see supernumerary rainbows often, typically two to four at a time. I never realized that they were rare!

Likes OmCheeto
marcusl said:
I live in Colorado near the Rockies and see supernumerary rainbows often, typically two to four at a time. I never realized that they were rare!

I went back and re-read the entry on "Supernumerary rainbows". That is really interesting.

It is not possible to explain their existence using classical geometric optics. The alternating faint rainbows are caused by interference between rays of light following slightly different paths with slightly varying lengths within the raindrops.
Supernumerary rainbows are clearest when raindrops are small and of uniform size. The very existence of supernumerary rainbows was historically a first indication of the wave nature of light, and the first explanation was provided by Thomas Young in 1804.

I did not know that.

Here's an interesting simulation I just found, showing the effect with the required droplet size:
(The slider they mention, is the inverted skinny grey triangle to the right of the image)

Supernumeraries & Drop Size

Today, my last Facebook friend from work, posted the following, having taken the picture about 2 hours ago:

horizontal.rainbow.taken.about.4.pm.from.Oak.Grove.Oregon.jpg

Like her, it really had me puzzled.
So I went through the wiki entry on Rainbows, and found the following:

Circumhorizontal arc

... In its full form, the arc has the appearance of a large, brightly spectrum-coloured band running parallel to the horizon, located below the Sun...

The misleading term "fire rainbow" is sometimes used to describe this phenomenon, although it is neither a rainbow, nor related in any way to fire. The term, apparently coined in 2006,[3] may originate in the occasional appearance of the arc as "flames" in the sky, when it occurs in fragmentary cirrus clouds.

Not a rainbow? pfft!
If it's not a rainbow, then what's it doing in the "Rainbow" section?
Answer me that, wiki...

Related to What caused the Quadruple Rainbow?

1. What is a quadruple rainbow?

A quadruple rainbow is a rare meteorological phenomenon that occurs when there are four distinct bands of colors in a rainbow. It is a result of light being refracted and reflected multiple times within raindrops.

2. What causes a quadruple rainbow to form?

A quadruple rainbow is caused by the same process as a regular rainbow. When sunlight enters a raindrop, it is bent and separated into its component colors, creating a rainbow. In the case of a quadruple rainbow, the light is reflected and refracted multiple times, resulting in four distinct bands of colors.

3. How rare is a quadruple rainbow?

A quadruple rainbow is extremely rare, with only a handful of documented occurrences. It requires specific weather conditions, such as a high concentration of raindrops and the perfect angle of the sun, to form.

4. Can a quadruple rainbow be captured in a photograph?

Yes, it is possible to capture a quadruple rainbow in a photograph. However, due to its rarity, it can be challenging to capture the full rainbow in one frame. It is more common to see a partial quadruple rainbow in a photo.

5. Can a quadruple rainbow be seen from any location?

No, a quadruple rainbow can only be seen from specific locations where the sun, rain, and observer's position are perfectly aligned. This means that not everyone will have the opportunity to see a quadruple rainbow in their lifetime.