What Caused Pluto's Unusual Orbit and Formation of its Moons?

In summary: I'm sure that you can find something relevant to post a link to, though, if you look for it.In summary, there is a theory that Pluto's disruption of orbit was caused by a comet colliding with it while it was a satellite of Neptune. This impact resulted in Pluto's eccentric orbit and the formation of its moons. However, this theory is considered a personal theory and cannot be discussed on the forum without proper evidence and sources.
Jaramo1
Theory of Pluto's Disruption of Orbit
Several hundred millennia ago, Pluto was originally a miniscule satellite (about 75%-65% of it's current mass) of larger Neptune when a comet (being 6/8 of the mass of pre-collision Pluto) struck Pluto with as much force to push Pluto out of orbit around Neptune, about 350 million kilometres before both planets make a second meet. This initiating force results in Pluto unusual, eccentric orbit path extending far beyond Neptune's. The dust, debris, ice and shattered center left floating after the impact was captured by Pluto's gravitational field. The floating ice and debris then collected on the shattered pieces of the comet which then shaped the fragments into spherical balls which then became Pluto's moons, Nix, Hydra, and the largest being Charon. It is unknown whether the crater is still remaining on Pluto due to in sufficient imaging (which could possibly be the dark spot in the images.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Can you provide us with any links for this theory? Note that personal theories are not permitted on PF.

Can you explain how you came up with this idea. People used to think there was a human face on Mars until NASA took closer pictures. Your idea sounds credible but somebody has to prove it.

cristo said:
Can you provide us with any links for this theory? Note that personal theories are not permitted on PF.

Actually, I got my information off of Wikipedia. Yet it's a personal theory. I'm new so I wouldn't really now much.

Jaramo1 said:
Actually, I got my information off of Wikipedia. Yet it's a personal theory. I'm new so I wouldn't really now much.

Welcome to PF. As I said, we do not permit personal theories here, except in the Independent Research forum: check out the global guidelines as linked to in my signature.

Related to What Caused Pluto's Unusual Orbit and Formation of its Moons?

What is the Theory of Pluto's Origin?

The Theory of Pluto's Origin is a scientific explanation for how the dwarf planet Pluto was formed and how it came to exist in our solar system.

What evidence supports the Theory of Pluto's Origin?

Scientists have studied the composition and structure of Pluto, as well as its orbit and interactions with other celestial bodies, to develop the Theory of Pluto's Origin. They have also analyzed data from spacecraft missions, such as New Horizons, which provided valuable information about Pluto's surface and interior.

How does the Theory of Pluto's Origin differ from the theories of other planets' origins?

The Theory of Pluto's Origin differs from the theories of other planets' origins because Pluto is not considered a traditional planet. It is a dwarf planet, meaning it is smaller and less massive than a planet, and it has a different composition and orbit than the other planets in our solar system.

What is the most widely accepted theory of Pluto's origin?

The most widely accepted theory of Pluto's origin is the Giant Impact Hypothesis. This theory suggests that Pluto was formed when a large object collided with a young planet in our solar system, causing debris to form and eventually coalesce into Pluto.

Are there any alternative theories about Pluto's origin?

Yes, there are alternative theories about Pluto's origin, such as the Capture Theory, which proposes that Pluto was formed elsewhere in the galaxy and was later captured by the gravitational pull of our sun. However, the Giant Impact Hypothesis is currently the most widely accepted theory among scientists.