What can you do with Google's calculator and unit conversions?

In summary, Google's calculator and unit conversions allow users to quickly and easily perform mathematical calculations and convert units of measurement. This tool can be accessed through Google's search engine or directly through the calculator app. It offers a wide range of functions, including basic arithmetic, complex equations, and unit conversions for length, weight, temperature, and more. Users can also customize the calculator to display their preferred units and use voice commands for hands-free operation. Overall, Google's calculator and unit conversions provide a convenient and efficient way to solve mathematical problems and convert units.
TALewis
Google has a neat calculator built into its search box. There is a good summary here:

http://www.google.com/help/calculator.html

Copy and paste the following queries to see it work:

Arithmetic operations:

sqrt((3*6/9)^2+7!)

Transcendental:

3*sin( 54 degrees )
2*log ( e / pi )

Complex numbers:

(3+7i)*(6-2i)

Unit conversions:

12 miles in kilometers
2400 joules in btu
34 degrees in radians

And now, the coolest part: physics calculations with universal constants and automatic units manipulation:

1 cm^2 * 15 feet per second in gallons per hour

1 kg * speed of light ^2

1/sqrt( permeability of free space * permittivity of free space )

sqrt( 2e-7 N/m * 2*pi * 1 m / permeability of free space )

( ( gravitational constant * Earth mass / ( 2*pi / day )^2 )^(1/3) - radius of Earth ) in miles

I know there are other tools out there that do this sort of thing (such as my TI-89), but having it on Google makes fun and easy to use for quick calculations.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Yeah that is pretty slick eh? You can also type in common equations and google will display a link to more information on it.

google has everything. :/

http://www.google.com/jobs/lunar_job.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using the Google calculator here on PF for a long time now. If someone asks a question like "how is the speed of light related to [itex]\epsilon_0[/itex] and [itex]\mu_0[/itex]" I will reply with something like this:

They are related by

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{\epsilon_0 \mu_0}}[/tex]

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...stant+*+magnetic+constant)&btnG=Google+Search

I feel that this not only introduces the viewer to the Google calculator, it also helps him understand the relationship more numerically than symbolically. Altogether, Google's done us all a huge service.

- Warren

Lately I've been wanting a Google currency converter, so I could enter queries like:

25 GBP in USD
10000 yen in USD

et cetera. I know there are sites and programs that will do those conversions, but Google is just so darn convenient.

Related to What can you do with Google's calculator and unit conversions?

1. What is Google calculator with units?

Google calculator with units is a feature provided by Google's search engine that allows users to perform calculations with units. This feature is convenient for converting units or performing complex mathematical equations.

2. How do I use Google calculator with units?

To use Google calculator with units, simply go to Google's search engine and type in your equation or conversion using the proper syntax. For example, to convert 5 feet to meters, type "5 feet in meters" into the search bar. Google will automatically display the result and show the step-by-step calculation process.

3. What units does Google calculator support?

Google calculator supports a wide range of units, including length, weight, volume, temperature, time, and more. It also supports different unit systems such as metric, imperial, and US customary units. You can find a full list of supported units by searching "Google calculator units" in the search bar.

4. Can I use Google calculator with units on my mobile device?

Yes, Google calculator with units is available on both desktop and mobile devices. Simply go to Google's search engine on your mobile device and enter your equation or conversion using the same syntax mentioned before.

5. Is Google calculator with units accurate?

Google calculator with units uses precise conversion factors and follows standard mathematical rules, making it a reliable tool for calculations. However, it is always a good idea to double-check the results for accuracy.