What Can We Learn from Finite Presentations of Groups?

In summary: Certainly, one tries to do things other than just play with the generators and relations, such as trying to impose a hyperbolic metric on some associated space, for example. Or tries to find an action on something that tells you more.
tgt
What's so special about finite presentations?

Does it indicate some properties about the group?

Physics news on Phys.org
A finitely presented group is countable (and I assume finite is countable). In the grand scheme of things being countable is an exceptionally rare event for a group.

On a practical scale, they're about the only things one can compute with, though even then there are famous conjectures about how hard it is to determine something about a group from a presentation.

They're also the groups that keep cropping up 'in nature'. Nature in the case can be taken to mean 'topology'. E.g. homotopy groups will occur naturally as finitely presented groups. Take the torus for example, it is standard to write/define/discover the fundamental group as generated by two loops going in the different directions around a torus, subject to the relation that they commute (this makes the group ZxZ).

matt grime said:
A finitely presented group is countable (and I assume finite is countable). In the grand scheme of things being countable is an exceptionally rare event for a group.

On a practical scale, they're about the only things one can compute with, though even then there are famous conjectures about how hard it is to determine something about a group from a presentation.

Finite is always countable. Isn't that obvious?

Can you list some of the conjectures?

tgt said:
Some people use the word 'countable' to mean what you would call 'countably infinite' -- i.e. to mean bijective with the natural numbers. Matt looks like he was simply explicitly stating how he is using the word.

tgt said:

It's a convention that not all people adopt, so no it isn't at all obvious. Google for

'conjectures finitely presented groups'

to get some ideas. Probably the most famous is 'the word problem': identify when some word (i.e. some string of generators) is equal to the identity (or when two words are equal). Even 'is the group finite' is hard.

matt grime said:
It's a convention that not all people adopt, so no it isn't at all obvious. Google for

'conjectures finitely presented groups'

to get some ideas. Probably the most famous is 'the word problem': identify when some word (i.e. some string of generators) is equal to the identity (or when two words are equal). Even 'is the group finite' is hard.

The hardness of these things might suggest that looking at groups via their presentations alone might not be a good way to study the groups. In other words the presentation definitions is that useful/good?

Hurkyl said:
Some people use the word 'countable' to mean what you would call 'countably infinite' -- i.e. to mean bijective with the natural numbers. Matt looks like he was simply explicitly stating how he is using the word.

Right.

tgt said:
The hardness of these things might suggest that looking at groups via their presentations alone might not be a good way to study the groups. In other words the presentation definitions is that useful/good?

OK, so I give you a group G. I tell you nothing about it at all. How are you going to prove anything? A finite presentation actually allows you to make deductions about the group. It's just that there are no algorithms that are particularly fast.

Certainly, one tries to do things other than just play with the generators and relations, such as trying to impose a hyperbolic metric on some associated space, for example. Or tries to find an action on something that tells you more.

Related to What Can We Learn from Finite Presentations of Groups?

1. What is a finite presentation of a group?

A finite presentation of a group is a way of describing a group using a finite set of generators and a finite set of relations. This means that any element of the group can be written as a product of the generators, and the relations specify how these generators can be combined to form other elements of the group.

2. How is a finite presentation different from other ways of describing a group?

A finite presentation is different from other methods, such as describing a group by its group table or by its action on a set, because it provides a more concise and efficient way of describing the group. It also allows for a better understanding of the structure and properties of the group.

3. Can all groups be described using a finite presentation?

No, not all groups can be described using a finite presentation. Some groups, such as infinite groups or non-abelian groups, cannot be described using a finite set of generators and relations. In these cases, other methods must be used to describe the group.

4. How is a finite presentation useful in group theory?

A finite presentation is a powerful tool in group theory as it allows for a better understanding of the structure and properties of a group. It can also aid in the classification and study of different types of groups, as well as in proving theorems and solving problems related to groups.

5. Are there any limitations to using finite presentations in group theory?

There are some limitations to using finite presentations in group theory. For example, it may be difficult to find a finite presentation for certain groups, or the presentation may not give a complete understanding of the group. Additionally, the process of finding a finite presentation for a group can be complex and time-consuming.