What Can Mechanical Engineers Expect in their Day-to-Day Work?

• Thread starter RugbyEng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Search
In summary: I'm not sure if pursuing a MS would be a good idea now or if I should wait.In summary, RugbyEng is considering pursuing a math degree at a local university, and is concerned about what he may do with that degree. He is also considering pursuing a masters program after this semester.
RugbyEng
For reference I haven't read the book yet, it's next after I finish Emanuel Derman's book.

A brief history: I received my BS in Kinesiology, basically a worthless degree where a MS is required to do anything remotely significant. Shortly after graduating I realized I had no job prospects and zero desire to work in the field. I enjoyed my time at the University and liked what I was learning but it was more of a hobby than something I wanted to do for a living. One year later I took the basic engineering classes at Jr. Co, which were easy (it was Jr. Co) and I'm now starting to get my BS in ME at a local University (I have 4 semesters left). The problem is the more I look around the more I get worried that I'm going to be a CAD jockey, something I don't want to do. I guess I'm just nervous that I won't like this field either. I know I want to do something technical and more math involved, I skimmed that thread on CFD and that sounded interesting.

I guess I'm just wondering if any ME's can give me some insight into what they do on a day to day basis and will there be opportunities to do more technical work? Or should I find a way to switch to applied math or statistics?

For reference, I do wish to pursue a MS somewhere along the line. Any insight will be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey RugbyEng and welcome to the forums.

If your book is the one by Viktor Frankl, it is a great book and I think you'll enjoy it.

I'll be graduating this year with a math degree (one major in statistics) just so you know where I am coming from.

With statistics if you end up doing work in the capacity of a "statistician", your job will usually consist of helping someone answer a question of some sort. The sort of question depends on the type of statistician that you are. If you are a general consulting statistician (like for example at a university), then there is going to be a lot of variation. If its in biostatistics, it's going to be things like "does this drug really statistically do what its intended to do?" or "can you design this experiment or trial given this budget?".

You'll usually be working on the different parts of the lifecycle of a project of some sort. Also it would be helpful to do some public speaking, speech writing, and presentations: even if the focus is not on math or technical subjects since a good part of an analytic hand whether it be an engineer, statistician, or applied mathematician, is to convert math and scientific results into a language that other people can comprehend and appreciate.

Thanks for the heads up on the statics field. Also, that is indeed the book I will be reading soon. I guess I feel like I'm constantly flip-flopping on what I really want to pursue. I suppose I'm looking for some MechE's to give me a heads up. Whenever I see an entry level ME job it always asks for CAD experience, which I'm not interested in. I want to make sure there is more to being a MechE than CAD. I'll try googling some more for articles on the topic.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if I could get into a masters program after this semester. Would it be worthwhile to take the GRE and linear algebra this summer and pursue a Masters in Applied Mathematics? Would I be able to get in with a random BS, the calcs, linear Alg, Diff EQ, and some other physics/engineering courses?

Does anyone have experience with second degrees etc.?

I can understand your concerns and uncertainty about your future career as a mechanical engineer. It is completely normal to have doubts and questions about your chosen field, especially when you have had a change in academic background.

Firstly, it is important to note that mechanical engineering is a vast and diverse field, with many different areas of specialization and job opportunities. While some mechanical engineers may find themselves primarily working with CAD software, there are also many opportunities for more technical and mathematically involved work.

In their day-to-day work, mechanical engineers can expect to use their knowledge of physics, mathematics, and materials to design, develop, and test various mechanical systems and devices. This can include everything from designing and analyzing mechanical components, to creating and testing prototypes, to overseeing the manufacturing and production process.

In addition, mechanical engineers may also be involved in research and development, using advanced computer simulations and modeling techniques to solve complex problems and improve existing designs. This can involve utilizing techniques such as CFD (computational fluid dynamics) to analyze fluid flow and heat transfer in various systems.

Furthermore, mechanical engineers often work in multidisciplinary teams, collaborating with other engineers, scientists, and technicians to bring a project to fruition. This can provide opportunities to learn and apply new skills, as well as work on cutting-edge technologies.

Ultimately, the day-to-day work of a mechanical engineer will depend on their specific job role and industry. However, with a strong background in math and a desire for technical work, there will certainly be opportunities for you to pursue your interests within the field of mechanical engineering. It may also be beneficial for you to speak with practicing mechanical engineers or seek out internships or co-op opportunities to gain a better understanding of the field and your potential career path.

In terms of pursuing a Master's degree, it is important to choose a program that aligns with your interests and career goals. This could be in mechanical engineering, applied math, or statistics, depending on what you hope to achieve in your future career. Ultimately, the key to success in any field is to find a balance between your interests, skills, and opportunities.

I wish you all the best in your academic and professional journey, and I am confident that with your determination and passion, you will find success in whichever path you choose.

Related to What Can Mechanical Engineers Expect in their Day-to-Day Work?

1. What is the main message of "Man's Search For Meaning"?

The main message of "Man's Search For Meaning" is that finding meaning and purpose in life is vital for human existence and can help individuals overcome even the most difficult and challenging circumstances.

2. Who is the author of "Man's Search For Meaning"?

The author of "Man's Search For Meaning" is Viktor E. Frankl, an Austrian neurologist and psychiatrist who survived the Holocaust and used his experiences to develop the theory of logotherapy.

3. What is logotherapy?

Logotherapy is a form of psychotherapy developed by Viktor Frankl that focuses on helping individuals find meaning and purpose in life in order to overcome suffering and achieve personal fulfillment.

4. How does "Man's Search For Meaning" relate to the Holocaust?

"Man's Search For Meaning" is based on Viktor Frankl's experiences as a concentration camp inmate during the Holocaust. It explores how he and others were able to find meaning and purpose in their lives despite the extreme suffering and trauma they endured.

5. What is the significance of the title "Man's Search For Meaning"?

The title "Man's Search For Meaning" reflects the central theme of the book, which is the human search for meaning and purpose in life. It emphasizes the idea that finding meaning is a fundamental human need and can help individuals overcome even the most challenging circumstances.