What can I see with my Sky Watcher telescope?

• Thread starter james bibey
  • Start date
In summary, the person has purchased a Sky Watcher telescope with a 650mm focal length and a 130mm diameter, along with several lenses. They are wondering what they can expect to see with this telescope and how to find interesting celestial bodies. They have been advised to start with the Messier objects and get a star atlas to help navigate the night sky. They have also been encouraged to join an astronomy club for guidance. The person has also noticed Jupiter while stargazing and is interested in seeing its bands.
james bibey
Hello

I have purchased a Sky Watcher 650mm focal length and a 130mm diameter. It came with a *2 barlow lense and a 25mm wide angle and 10mm super plossl lense. I have also recently purchased a 4mm super plossl lense. Just right now I found out that my telescope was 650mm and not 900mm, but that's ok because I intend to upgrade when I get the money.
What I am quering is what can I expect to find with this? I have happened upon Saturn once by mistake and saw the rings, and obviously the moon, but other than that I have been picking stars at random. Is it possible to see nebulas and the such and what is the best place to look for interesting celestial bodies?
I live in Wales in the United Kingdom and I will probably be getting my telescope out again tonight at about 10pm GMT.
I will appreciate any guidance.

Thanks

p.s. this is my first post on this forum

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You could try starting with the Messier objects. I think you should be able to see most of those with a telescope your size (depending on how much light pollution you have to deal with). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Messier_objects
It might be a good idea for you to pick up a good star atlas to help you navigate the night sky.

Thanks, I'll try that

You should also get a star atlas of some kind which you can use outside. My personal favorite for beginners is https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521800846/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Your goal for the time being is simply to learn the constellations and get your bearings in the sky. Start with one small part of the sky, like the constallation Lyra (nearly overhead this time of the year), and use it as a starting point for identifying and exploring neighboring parts of the sky.

I also strongly suggest that you find any astronomy clubs in your area and attend some of their meetings or star parties. You'll be amazed how much you can learn in a short period of time with an experienced guide!

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks chroot, when I get enough money I will buy that book. As for astronomy clubs, I will see to that one as there is one in Swansea where I live.

I was out last night and looking to the south there appeared to be a bright star. When I looked at it through a 10mm, then a 4mm, It was bigger than a star, with free little dots around this. Am I right in assuming this was Jupiter?

Also what you said about skymarks sounds like good advice.

Thanks

james bibey said:
I was out last night and looking to the south there appeared to be a bright star. When I looked at it through a 10mm, then a 4mm, It was bigger than a star, with free little dots around this. Am I right in assuming this was Jupiter?

Definitely Jupiter. Did you see any bands?

It was very hard to notice but I thought I may have seen something like swirling bands.

Related to What can I see with my Sky Watcher telescope?

1. What qualities should I look for in a potential research partner?

When searching for a research partner, it is important to look for someone who has similar research interests and goals. They should also possess strong communication skills, be reliable and organized, and have a good work ethic. Additionally, it can be beneficial to find someone who has different strengths and expertise than your own to create a well-rounded team.

2. What factors should I consider when selecting a research topic?

When selecting a research topic, consider your personal interests and expertise, the potential impact and relevance of the topic, available resources, and potential collaborators. It is also important to consider the feasibility and scope of the project and how it aligns with your long-term research goals.

3. How do I know if a scientific journal is reputable?

There are a few key factors to consider when determining the reputation of a scientific journal. Look at the journal's impact factor, which measures the average number of citations per article, as well as its indexing and inclusion in major databases. Additionally, consider the editorial board, peer review process, and publication standards of the journal.

4. What should I look for in a scientific conference to present my research?

When selecting a scientific conference to present your research, consider the theme and focus of the conference, the reputation and credibility of the organizers, and the target audience. It is also important to look at the submission and presentation formats, as well as the opportunities for networking and collaboration.

5. How do I evaluate the quality of scientific data?

To evaluate the quality of scientific data, consider the source and methodology used to collect the data. Look for peer-reviewed studies from reputable sources, and consider the sample size, control group, and statistical analysis used. It is also important to consider any potential biases or conflicts of interest that may impact the data.