What can I say about y-uniform continuity

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuity
In summary, uniform continuity is a type of continuity in mathematics that describes how a function behaves consistently and smoothly across its entire domain. It differs from ordinary continuity by requiring the function to be continuous across the entire domain, without any sudden jumps or breaks. A function is considered uniformly continuous if small changes in the input result in small changes in the output. To determine if a function is uniformly continuous, one can use the definition or the theorem stating that a function must be continuous and have a bounded derivative on its entire domain. Uniform continuity has various real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wasntme)

I am looking at the following exercise:

Let $f: \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}$ a continuous function with the following property:
$\forall \epsilon >0 \exists M=M( \epsilon)>0 \text{ such that if } |x| \geq M \text{ then } |f(x)|< \epsilon$.
Show that $ f$ is uniformly continuous.

That's what I have tried so far:

Let $\epsilon'>0$

• $x,y \in [-M,M] :$

$f$ is continuous on $[-M,M]$,so $f$ is also uniformly continuous on this interval.So,$\exists \delta=\delta(\epsilon')>0 \text{ such that } \forall x,y \in [-M,M] \text{ with } |x-y|<\delta , \text{ we have } |f(x)-f(y)|< \epsilon'$
  • $x,y \geq M:$
    $\exists \delta=\delta(\epsilon')>0 \text{ such that } \forall x,y \in [M,+\infty) \text{ with } |x-y|<\delta \text{ we have } |f(x)-f(y)| \leq |f(x)|+|f(y)|<2 \epsilon'$
  • $x,y \leq -M: $
    $\exists \delta=\delta(\epsilon')>0 \text{ such that } \forall x,y \in (-\infty,-M] \text{ with } |x-y|<\delta \text{ we have } |f(x)-f(y)| \leq |f(x)|+|f(y)|<2 \epsilon'$

Is it right so far,or have I done something wrong? :confused: (Thinking)

Also,then I have to check the cases $x<-M<y$ and $x<M<y$

For the case $x<-M<y$,that's what I have done:

$x<-M \Rightarrow |f(x)|< \epsilon' $

But,what can I say about $y$,in order to conclude that $|f(x)-f(y)|< \epsilon'$ ? (Thinking) (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wasntme)

I am looking at the following exercise:

Let $f: \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}$ a continuous function with the following property:
$\forall \epsilon >0 \exists M=M( \epsilon)>0 \text{ such that if } |x| \geq M \text{ then } |f(x)|< \epsilon$.
Show that $ f$ is uniformly continuous.

That's what I have tried so far:

Let $\epsilon'>0$

• $x,y \in [-M,M] :$

$f$ is continuous on $[-M,M]$,so $f$ is also uniformly continuous on this interval.So,$\exists \delta=\delta(\epsilon')>0 \text{ such that } \forall x,y \in [-M,M] \text{ with } |x-y|<\delta , \text{ we have } |f(x)-f(y)|< \epsilon'$
  • $x,y \geq M:$
    $\exists \delta=\delta(\epsilon')>0 \text{ such that } \forall x,y \in [M,+\infty) \text{ with } |x-y|<\delta \text{ we have } |f(x)-f(y)| \leq |f(x)|+|f(y)|<2 \epsilon'$
  • $x,y \leq -M: $
    $\exists \delta=\delta(\epsilon')>0 \text{ such that } \forall x,y \in (-\infty,-M] \text{ with } |x-y|<\delta \text{ we have } |f(x)-f(y)| \leq |f(x)|+|f(y)|<2 \epsilon'$

Is it right so far,or have I done something wrong? :confused: (Thinking)

Also,then I have to check the cases $x<-M<y$ and $x<M<y$

For the case $x<-M<y$,that's what I have done:

$x<-M \Rightarrow |f(x)|< \epsilon' $

But,what can I say about $y$,in order to conclude that $|f(x)-f(y)|< \epsilon'$ ? (Thinking) (Thinking)
This problem is similar to the one in http://mathhelpboards.com/analysis-50/bounded-derivative-uniform-continuity-10997.html, and you have already provided most of the solution. The remaining part of the problem is to deal with the case where one of the points $x,y$ lies inside the interval $[-M,M]$ and the other one lies outside it. My suggestion is to use the fact that $f$ is (uniformly) continuous on the interval $[-(M+1),M+1]$, and then to choose your $\delta$ to be less than $1$. Then both of $x$ and $y$ will either be inside the "expanded" interval $[-(M+1),M+1]$ or outside the original interval $[-M,M]$. So you will no longer have the problem of one point being inside the interval and the other one outside it.

Related to What can I say about y-uniform continuity

1. What is uniform continuity?

Uniform continuity is a type of continuity in mathematics that describes how a function behaves across its entire domain. It means that the function's values change consistently and smoothly, with no sudden jumps or discontinuities.

2. How is uniform continuity different from ordinary continuity?

Ordinary continuity only requires the function to be continuous at each point in its domain, while uniform continuity requires the function to be continuous across the entire domain. This means that there are no sudden changes or breaks in the graph of a uniformly continuous function.

3. What does it mean for a function to be uniformly continuous?

A function is uniformly continuous if for any given epsilon value, there exists a delta value such that the distance between any two points in the function's domain is less than delta, then the difference between the corresponding function values is less than epsilon. In simpler terms, this means that small changes in the input of the function result in small changes in the output.

4. How can I determine if a function is uniformly continuous?

To determine if a function is uniformly continuous, you can use the definition and check if it satisfies the criteria. You can also use the theorem that states that a function is uniformly continuous if it is continuous and has a bounded derivative on its entire domain.

5. What are some real-world applications of uniform continuity?

Uniform continuity has many applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, it is used to describe how an object's position changes over time. In engineering, it can be used to analyze the behavior of structures and materials under different conditions. In economics, it is used to model the relationship between supply and demand for a product.