What can commute with a diagonal matrix?

In summary, if B is symmetric then the two matrices commute, and if B is not symmetric then the two matrices only commute if diag\{\underline{\lambda}\}\textbf{B} is symmetric.
weetabixharry
I have two matrices which commute, one of which is definitely diagonal:

[itex]\textbf{B}diag\{\underline{\lambda}\} = diag\{\underline{\lambda}\}\textbf{B}[/itex]

and I want to know what I can say about [itex]\textbf{B}[/itex] and/or [itex]\underline{\lambda}[/itex]. Specifically, I feel that either one or both of the following must be correct:

(1) [itex]diag\{\underline{\lambda}\}[/itex] is proportional to identity.
(2) [itex]\textbf{B}[/itex] is diagonal.
[ignoring the trivial cases where one or both matrices equal the zero matrix]

But are there other cases when these two matrices can commute? i.e. Is it possible for both [itex]\textbf{B}[/itex] to be non-diagonal and the elements of [itex]\underline{\lambda}[/itex] to not all be identical?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi weetabixharry! :smile:

What about if B is a symmetric matrix?
Or what if some of the lambda's are identical, forming a submatrix that is proportional to identity?
Or what if a lambda is zero?

I like Serena said:
Hi weetabixharry! :smile:

What about if B is a symmetric matrix?
Or what if some of the lambda's are identical, forming a submatrix that is proportional to identity?
Or what if a lambda is zero?

If [itex]\textbf{B}[/itex] is symmetric, then:

[itex]\textbf{B}diag\{\underline{\lambda}\} = [diag\{\underline{\lambda}\}\textbf{B}]^T[/itex]

Therefore the two matrices only commute if [itex]diag\{\underline{\lambda}\}\textbf{B}[/itex] is symmetric. I feel like this can only happen in the 2 cases I stated above, because each element of [itex]\underline{\lambda}[/itex] multiplies across an entire row of [itex]\textbf{B}[/itex].

I'm not sure how to approach the other two cases you mentioned.

weetabixharry said:
If [itex]\textbf{B}[/itex] is symmetric, then:

[itex]\textbf{B}diag\{\underline{\lambda}\} = [diag\{\underline{\lambda}\}\textbf{B}]^T[/itex]

Therefore the two matrices only commute if [itex]diag\{\underline{\lambda}\}\textbf{B}[/itex] is symmetric. I feel like this can only happen in the 2 cases I stated above, because each element of [itex]\underline{\lambda}[/itex] multiplies across an entire row of [itex]\textbf{B}[/itex].

I'm not sure how to approach the other two cases you mentioned.

Yes, you are right.
B being symmetric doesn't help.

I just checked a 2x2 matrix with a zero on the diagonal.
Still yields that B must be diagonal, if all lambda's are different.

If we have a set of equal lambda's, we can split B into sub blocks matrices, and multiply the matrices as sub blocks.
A sub block of B on the diagonal that corresponds to a block with equal lambdas always commutes.
A sub block of B that is not on the diagonal has to be zero.

I like Serena said:
If we have a set of equal lambda's, we can split B into sub blocks matrices, and multiply the matrices as sub blocks.
A sub block of B on the diagonal that corresponds to a block with equal lambdas always commutes.
A sub block of B that is not on the diagonal has to be zero.

To prove this it is useful to write the commutator in components:
[itex]\sum_j B_{ij}\lambda_j \delta_{jl}=\sum_j \lambda_i \delta_{ij}B_{jl}[/itex]
[itex]B_{il}\lambda_l=\lambda_i B_{il}[/itex]
[itex]B_{il}(\lambda_l-\lambda_i)=0[/itex]

aesir said:
To prove this it is useful to write the commutator in components:
[itex]\sum_j B_{ij}\lambda_j \delta_{jl}=\sum_j \lambda_i \delta_{ij}B_{jl}[/itex]
[itex]B_{il}\lambda_l=\lambda_i B_{il}[/itex]
[itex]B_{il}(\lambda_l-\lambda_i)=0[/itex]

Ah yes, this is an excellent way of seeing it. Many thanks for that! (Though, I feel the RHS of the first line should have [itex]\lambda_j[/itex] instead of [itex]\lambda_i[/itex]... even though the result will be the same).

Quick example of a non-diagonal matrix commuting with a non-proportional-to-identity diagonal matrix:

[itex]

\left[\begin{array}{lll}
7&2&0 \\
0&1&0 \\
0&0&4
\end{array}\right]

\left[\begin{array}{lll}
3&0&0 \\
0&3&0 \\
0&0&2
\end{array}\right]

=

\left[\begin{array}{lll}
3&0&0 \\
0&3&0 \\
0&0&2
\end{array}\right]

\left[\begin{array}{lll}
7&2&0 \\
0&1&0 \\
0&0&4
\end{array}\right]

=

\left[\begin{array}{lll}
21&6&0 \\
0&3&0 \\
0&0&8
\end{array}\right]

[/itex]

Unfortunately, this ruins the proof I was writing... back to the drawing board I guess...

Related to What can commute with a diagonal matrix?

What is a diagonal matrix?

A diagonal matrix is a type of square matrix where all the elements except those on the main diagonal are zero. The main diagonal is a line of elements that runs from the top left corner to the bottom right corner of the matrix.

What does it mean for a matrix to commute with a diagonal matrix?

When a matrix commutes with a diagonal matrix, it means that the two matrices can be multiplied in any order and still produce the same result. In other words, the order of multiplication does not affect the final outcome.

Why is it important for a matrix to commute with a diagonal matrix?

Commute with a diagonal matrix is important because it allows for simplification of calculations and makes solving problems involving diagonal matrices much easier. It also has applications in various areas of mathematics and science, such as linear algebra and quantum mechanics.

How can you determine if a matrix commutes with a diagonal matrix?

To determine if a matrix commutes with a diagonal matrix, you can use the commutativity property, which states that if two matrices A and B commute, then AB = BA. So, if the product of the two matrices in both orders is the same, then they commute with each other.

Are all matrices able to commute with a diagonal matrix?

No, not all matrices can commute with a diagonal matrix. Only those matrices that have a specific structure and elements can commute with a diagonal matrix. For example, a diagonal matrix will commute with any matrix that is also diagonal, but it will not commute with a matrix that has non-zero elements outside of the main diagonal.