What Calculus Book Can Help Understand Goldstein's Classical Mechanics?

In summary, this section of the book is hard for someone who has not learned calculus from a math teacher. The notations used in physics are different, and can be confusing. There are also some resources available online and in a book called "Newton's Principia" that can help.
Shakir
Hello PF

I have attached two screenshots from Goldstein's Classical Mechanics. Although I have done a course on multivariable calculus, I don't understand what is going on in this math part.

Could you please provide some online resources or suggest a book so I can understand this sort of calculus? I am really stuck here.
Screenshot_2017-02-01-18-18-59-245_cn.wps.moffice_eng.png
Screenshot_2017-02-01-18-21-15-694_cn.wps.moffice_eng.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you point out what part(s) of those two pages you have an issue with? at a glance, I don't see anything that wasn't covered in my Calculus II and III courses back in the 90s.

I learned calculus with Larson & Hostetler and Varburg & Purcell, by the way. I know there are better texts out there, though.

Last edited:
Hello
My problem is with the summation and integration part. I do not know how to use this method. Besides I learned multivariable calculus from a MATH teacher. The notations used in physics are a bit different e.g representation of x dot x, double dot to express velocity, acceleration etc. It often becomes very confusing. Maybe I missed some concepts or did not learn properly.

Problem starts at 2.16 to the rest.

The only two pieces of notation I see that are not in a standard Calculus sequence are summing over I and the use of a dot instead of a prime for time derivative.

The sum over I just means to sum over all values of the index i. It's written that way so that the same equation can be used for systems with any number of degrees of freedom.

One thing that takes a bit of getting used to in mechanics is that you can take a derivative with respect to y-dot in an expression as though it is a totally separate variable to y. It feels odd, but it works that way and it's just one of those things that must be gotten used to.

Other than those two points, you might find the chapter on calculus of variations in Feynman's lectures helpful. It's available free here:

http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/II_19.html

Likes Shakir

Related to What Calculus Book Can Help Understand Goldstein's Classical Mechanics?

What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It involves the use of mathematical concepts such as limits, derivatives, and integrals to solve problems related to rates of change and optimization.

Why is calculus important?

Calculus is widely used in many fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It provides a powerful tool for analyzing and solving real-world problems that involve change and optimization.

What are the prerequisites for learning calculus?

A strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry is essential for understanding calculus. Basic knowledge of functions and their graphs is also necessary.

What should I look for in a calculus book?

A good calculus book should have clear explanations, numerous examples and practice problems, and a variety of types of exercises to reinforce concepts. It should also have a comprehensive index and a glossary of terms.

Is there a difference between a calculus textbook and a calculus workbook?

Yes, there is a difference. A textbook typically provides in-depth explanations and theory, while a workbook focuses on practice problems and exercises. Both are important for mastering calculus, so it is recommended to have both resources.