What Branch of Math do I need?

• Thread starter Kombaiyashii
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Branch
In summary, the conversation discusses the optimal amount to put into a business or bet on a team, based on the probability of success and potential losses. The branch of mathematics that covers these problems is likely Decision Mathematics or Probability and game theory, and there are various resources available to learn this type of math.
Kombaiyashii
What is up people?

I was wondering if you could help me find exactly what's the type of math I need to do solve these kinds of problems...

Let's say I have 65% chance of my business being a complete success and had $200,000, how do I work out the optimal amount to put into the business?

Or

If I had a 75% chance that my team was going to win the game and I had $200 to spare, what would be the optimal amount to put on my team to win that will offer the best rate of return and minimise potential losses?

This isn't homework or anything, I'm actually 27 and haven't done math for years. So I was wondering what would be the branch of mathematics that covers these problems? Also could you suggest a good website or books to learn this kind of math.

Thanks very much,

Komb

Physics news on Phys.org
Kombaiyashii said:
What is up people?

I was wondering if you could help me find exactly what's the type of math I need to do solve these kinds of problems...

Let's say I have 65% chance of my business being a complete success and had $200,000, how do I work out the optimal amount to put into the business?

Or

If I had a 75% chance that my team was going to win the game and I had $200 to spare, what would be the optimal amount to put on my team to win that will offer the best rate of return and minimise potential losses?

This isn't homework or anything, I'm actually 27 and haven't done math for years. So I was wondering what would be the branch of mathematics that covers these problems? Also could you suggest a good website or books to learn this kind of math.

Thanks very much,

Komb

I'd say either some Decision Mathematics, or Probability and game theory

Kombaiyashii said:
What is up people?

I hope you're not playing with your own money.
This can be answered with basic math and common sense.

You got 75% probability that your team wins ? How do you get this figure ?
Imagining you have some crystal ball, and you know your team wins at 75% you can bet some money.
You bet x
If you lose you lose x, if you win, you win kx.
if k> 1/0,75 you should bet, otherwise not.

Related to What Branch of Math do I need?

1. What branch of math do I need for computer science?

Computer science relies heavily on algebra, calculus, and discrete mathematics. These branches of math help with problem-solving, data analysis, and algorithms.

2. Do I need to know geometry for engineering?

Geometry is an important branch of math for engineers as it deals with shapes, angles, and measurements. It is used in areas such as construction, architecture, and design.

3. Which branch of math is most important for finance?

Finance requires a strong understanding of arithmetic, algebra, and statistics. These branches of math are used for financial analysis, forecasting, and risk management.

4. What type of math is needed for physics?

Physics heavily relies on calculus, algebra, and trigonometry. These branches of math are used to understand and describe the fundamental laws and principles of the physical world.

5. Is calculus necessary for biology?

Calculus is not typically required for introductory biology courses, but it is important for more advanced topics such as genetics, population dynamics, and neuroscience. Algebra and statistics are also important for data analysis in biology.