What books for numerical solutions to PDEs

In summary, books on numerical solutions to PDEs provide a comprehensive guide to understanding and solving partial differential equations using numerical methods. These books cover a variety of topics, including finite difference, finite element, and spectral methods, as well as their applications to different types of PDEs. They also offer practical examples and exercises to help readers develop their skills in solving PDEs numerically. Overall, these books are essential resources for students and researchers in the field of mathematics and engineering.
DEvens
Education Advisor
Gold Member
What are some good books (or other resources) on numerical methods of solving PDEs in 3 space and 1 time variable?

I am interested both in finite element and finite volume methods. I could be interested in other methods but I don't know about them. I am interested in being able to take advantage of parallel computing. I have budget to buy some books. I have done quite a bit of 1-space 1-time numerical work.

The specific equation I am most interested in is the diffusion equation with quite a few complications. It's transport of neutrons in a nuclear reactor. For example, there are many species diffusing (each is an energy group, as many as 39 in the full model), and these can change from one to the other. The system is changing over time as well as the concentration of species. There are many interesting time scales in the problem from potentially microseconds (if things get badly wrong) up to weeks to account for consumption of fuel. The boundary conditions are interesting.

One book already on my to-buy list is Hamming "Numerical Methods for Scientists and Engineers."

Any other suggestions?

Likes Silicon Waffle
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I meant finite difference and finite volume methods.

Likes DEvens
DEvens said:
The specific equation I am most interested in is the diffusion equation with quite a few complications. It's transport of neutrons in a nuclear reactor. For example, there are many species diffusing (each is an energy group, as many as 39 in the full model), and these can change from one to the other. The system is changing over time as well as the concentration of species. There are many interesting time scales in the problem from potentially microseconds (if things get badly wrong) up to weeks to account for consumption of fuel. The boundary conditions are interesting.
Is one interested in thermal, epi-thermal or fast reactors, or all spectra? Whatever the spectrum, ideally the methods allow for steady-state operation with depletion and accumulation of fission products and transuranics, as well as transient conditions. In an LWR, the time scale of reactivity-insertion event is on the order of ms. One can review experiments from the French CABRI and Japanese NSRR RIA experiments. For steady-state, time steps are on the order of days, and depletion calculations are typically done for steady-state full power conditions, and generally not for power maneuvers.

MIT's OpenMOC Method of Characteristics Code should be of interest - https://mit-crpg.github.io/OpenMOC/

This is a reasonably good characterization of the problem.- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_transport#Discretization_in_Deterministic_Methods

See also theory of numerical methods for hyperbolic PDEs - http://www.aei.mpg.de/~rezzolla/lnotes/Hyperbolic_Pdes/hyperbolic_pdes_lnotes.pdf

Likes DEvens
The final target of this work will be, most of the time, power reactors for nuclear power stations. Or reactors in that general category. I am in Ontario, so most of the time I will want to apply this to CANDU reactors. Possibly a research reactor will sneak into the calculations, but it will tend to be a reactor used to test out fuel etc. for use in power reactors. So predominantly thermal.

Mostly this is me trying to persuade the powers-that-be in my area that we should move into the era of modern computing. And that means I need to be up to date on what is possible and practical and useful.

DEvens said:
What are some good books (or other resources) on numerical methods of solving PDEs in 3 space and 1 time variable?

I am interested both in finite element and finite volume methods. I could be interested in other methods but I don't know about them. I am interested in being able to take advantage of parallel computing. I have budget to buy some books. I have done quite a bit of 1-space 1-time numerical work.

One book already on my to-buy list is Hamming "Numerical Methods for Scientists and Engineers."

Any other suggestions?

A nice introductory book on the FVM is Versteeg & Malalasekera's "An Introduction to Computational Fluid Dynamics - The Finite Volume Method". I have this book and I like it a great deal. Yet it may be a bit off from your niche of application.

Coincidentally, I also have Hamming's "Numerical Methods for Scientists and Engineers". Frankly, I doubt it will be useful to you given the fields you mentioned as the ones of your interest (FDM, FVM, PDEs).

Related to What books for numerical solutions to PDEs

1. What are some recommended books for learning numerical solutions to PDEs?

Some commonly recommended books for learning numerical solutions to PDEs include "Numerical Solution of Partial Differential Equations" by K.W. Morton and D.F. Mayers, "Finite Difference Methods for Ordinary and Partial Differential Equations" by R.J. LeVeque, and "Numerical Methods for Partial Differential Equations" by V. Thomee.

2. What level of mathematical background is required for understanding books on numerical solutions to PDEs?

A strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations is necessary for understanding books on numerical solutions to PDEs. Some familiarity with numerical methods and programming is also beneficial.

3. Are there any online resources or interactive tools available for learning numerical solutions to PDEs?

Yes, there are many online resources and interactive tools available for learning numerical solutions to PDEs. Some examples include the "Finite Difference Methods for PDEs" course on Coursera, the "Interactive Simulation for Partial Differential Equations" tool on Wolfram Demonstrations, and the "Numerical PDEs" section on the MathWorks website.

4. Can you recommend any books specifically for beginners in numerical solutions to PDEs?

For beginners, "A First Course in the Numerical Analysis of Differential Equations" by Arieh Iserles and "Numerical Solution of Partial Differential Equations: An Introduction" by G.D. Smith are good options. These books provide a gentle introduction to the subject with clear explanations and examples.

5. What are some common challenges or difficulties encountered when learning about numerical solutions to PDEs?

Some common challenges or difficulties encountered when learning about numerical solutions to PDEs include understanding the theoretical concepts behind the methods, choosing appropriate numerical schemes for a specific problem, and implementing the methods in programming languages. It is also important to be familiar with error analysis and the limitations of numerical solutions compared to analytical solutions.