What are these physical quantites in electrodynamics?

In summary, the equation of charge conservation (eq. 2.5) and the Faraday's induction law (eq. 5.2) are formally the same, except in the charge conservation appear 3-forms, while in Faraday's induction law 2-forms. 3-forms and 2-forms correspond to the vector and scalar potentials, respectively.
mma
What physical quantities are these differential forms in classical electrodynamics?

I read the paper ofhttp://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0005084" (A gentle introduction to the foundations of classical electrodynamics: The meaning of the excitations (D,H) and the field strengths (E, B)).

The equation of charge conservation (eq. 2.5 in the paper) and the Faraday's induction law (eq. 5.2) are formally the same, except in the charge conservation appear 3-forms, while in Faraday's induction law 2-forms. I write these equations here.

(2.5)​
[itex]dj + \partial_t \rho = 0[/itex]​
(5.2)​
[itex]dE + \partial_t B = 0[/itex]​

Because of [itex]d\rho=0[/itex], from the Pioncaré lemma (cited in the paper as de Rham theorem) follows that (on a a contractible 3d manifold) the 3-form [itex]\rho[/itex] is exact, i.e. there is a 2-form D that
(3.1)​
[itex]\rho = dD [/itex].​
The analogy would be that because of [itex]dB=0[/itex] (eq. 5.3 in the paper), from the Pioncaré lemma (cited in the paper as de Rham theorem) follows that (on a a contractible 2d manifold) the 2-form [itex]B[/itex] is exact, i.e. there is a 1-form [tex]X[/itex] that
(?.1)​
[itex]B = dX [/itex].​
Later on, substititing (3.1) into (2.5) and using again the Poincaré lemma (alias de Rham theorem) we get that the [itex]j + \partial_tD[/itex] 2-form (on a contractible 2d manifold) has an 1-form potential [itex]H[/itex], that is
(3.2)​
[itex]j + \partial_tD = dH[/itex].​
The analogy would be that substituting (?.1) into (5.2) and using again the Poincaré lemma (alias de Rham theorem) we get that the [itex]E + \partial_tX[/itex] 1-form (on a contractible 1d manifold) has an 0-form potential [itex]Y[/itex], that is
(?.2)​
[itex]E + \partial_tX = dY[/itex].​
What physical quantities correspond to [itex]X[/itex] and [itex]Y[/itex]? Are they in use in electrodynamics? If not, then why not?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I found them. [itex]X[/itex] is the vector potential [itex]A[/itex], and [itex]Y[/itex] is the scalar potential [itex]\phi[/itex].

Thanks.

X would be the vector potential A. Y is the scalar potential phi. These equations are usually written

[tex]\vec B = \vec \nabla \times \vec A[/tex]

[tex]\vec E = - \nabla \Phi - \frac{\partial \vec A}{\partial t}[/tex]

Edit: Oh, I see I am a few hours too late. :P

Related to What are these physical quantites in electrodynamics?

1. What is the difference between electric and magnetic fields?

Electric fields are produced by stationary charges, while magnetic fields are produced by moving charges. Additionally, electric fields act on charged particles and can cause them to move, while magnetic fields only affect moving charges.

2. What are the units of electric and magnetic fields?

The unit for electric field is volts per meter (V/m), while the unit for magnetic field is tesla (T) or gauss (G). However, in some cases, the units for electric and magnetic fields can be expressed in other units such as newtons per coulomb (N/C) or amperes per meter (A/m).

3. How are electric and magnetic fields related?

Electric and magnetic fields are related through Maxwell's equations, which state that a changing electric field produces a magnetic field, and a changing magnetic field produces an electric field. This relationship is known as electromagnetic induction.

4. What is the role of electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetic radiation?

Electric and magnetic fields are the fundamental components of electromagnetic radiation. As an electromagnetic wave travels through space, the changing electric and magnetic fields create each other, resulting in a self-sustaining wave.

5. How do electric and magnetic fields interact with matter?

Electric and magnetic fields can interact with matter in various ways, depending on the properties of the material. For example, materials with high electrical conductivity can reflect and absorb electromagnetic radiation, while materials with low conductivity can allow it to pass through. Additionally, electric and magnetic fields can exert forces on charged particles within matter, causing them to move or be displaced.