What are the Uses of Chemical Conversion Coating in the Aerospace Industry?

In summary, the ducts are clamped together by a v band coupling and the faying surface of the ducts are chemically coated. The coating is to improve chemical/corrosion resistance of the parts depending on what is flowing through them, or if they are two dissimilar metals it could be to help prevent a galvanic corrosion scenario.
araanandv2
Hi,

Why is Chemical Conversion Coating done on ducts, fittings in aerospace Industry.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends on the part. Processes like anodizing can be for either cosmetic purposes or to increase wear resistance on aluminum parts. Other parts may have a process done to help with electrical conductivity or resistance.

Do you have a specific part or application in mind or is this a homework question?

FredGarvin said:
It depends on the part. Processes like anodizing can be for either cosmetic purposes or to increase wear resistance on aluminum parts. Other parts may have a process done to help with electrical conductivity or resistance.

Do you have a specific part or application in mind or is this a homework question?

2 ducts are clamped together by a v band coupling.
the faying surface of the ducts are chemically coated.

Are they aluminum? Anodizing is a great example of something to help this scenario.

I would suspect the coating is to improve chemical/corrosion resistance of the parts depending on what is flowing through them, or if they are two dissimilar metals it could be to help prevent a galvanic corrosion scenario. However, it doesn't say what the ducts are made of in the first place.

As a side note, in optics a black anodize on aluminum parts is used to help reduce reflection and absorb stray light. I doubt this is an optical application however.

It sounds like you have a case of relative motion causing wear. The first thing I would make sure is that the V-band clamp is doing it's job and providing the proper clamping force.

I really think you should look into anodizing the parts.

FredGarvin said:
It sounds like you have a case of relative motion causing wear. The first thing I would make sure is that the V-band clamp is doing it's job and providing the proper clamping force.

I really think you should look into anodizing the parts.

EXCEPT THE FAYING SURFACE OTHER PARTS OF THE DUCTS ARE ANODIZED

So you are saying that the rest of the part, EXCEPT the part that is "fraying" is anodized? Or are you saying that the surfaces, at one time were anodized, but the anodizing has worn through? Saying something is chemically coated is not sufficient information. Be specific.

And while you're at it, what are these ducts being used for? You asked why they are coated in the first place, but we have no answer for you without some idea of the application first...

Related to What are the Uses of Chemical Conversion Coating in the Aerospace Industry?

What is Chemical Conversion Coating?

Chemical conversion coating is a surface treatment process that involves the use of chemical reactions to convert the surface of a metal into a corrosion-resistant and paintable layer.

What is the purpose of Chemical Conversion Coating?

The purpose of chemical conversion coating is to protect metal surfaces from corrosion and to improve their paint adhesion, thus extending the lifespan of the metal.

What metals can be treated with Chemical Conversion Coating?

Chemical conversion coating is commonly used on aluminum, magnesium, and zinc surfaces, but it can also be applied to other metals such as steel and copper.

What are the different types of Chemical Conversion Coating?

There are various types of chemical conversion coating, including chromate conversion coating, phosphate conversion coating, and anodizing. Each type has its own unique properties and is used for different applications.

What are the benefits of Chemical Conversion Coating?

The benefits of chemical conversion coating include increased corrosion resistance, improved paint adhesion, and enhanced surface durability. It also offers cost-effectiveness and environmental friendliness compared to other surface treatment methods.