What Are the Unknowns in This Free Fall Ball Problem?

In summary: So you get two equations with two unknowns. You can solve them for v and h.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a ball thrown upward with an initial speed of 32.3 m/s at the halfway point. The goal is to find the maximum height, velocity 2.0 seconds after being thrown, height after 2.0 seconds, and acceleration at the maximum height. The solution involves using the constant acceleration equations and careful substitution to find the initial velocity and maximum height.
uchicago2012

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown upward in such a way that its speed is 32.3 m/s when it is at half its maximum height. Find
(a) its maximum height,
(b) its velocity 2.0 s after it's thrown,
(c) its height 2.0 s after it's thrown, and
(d) its acceleration at its maximum height.

Homework Equations

Constant acceleration equations:
v = v0 + at
x - x0 = v0t + 1/2 (at2)
v2 = v02 + 2a(x - x0)
x - x0 = 1/2 (v0 + v)t
x - x0 = vt - 1/2 (at2)

where v= velocity, a = acceleration, t = time, v0 = initial velocity and x0 = initial position

The Attempt at a Solution

For (a), I thought the acceleration should be constant, since it is a free fall problem. At the ball's maximum height, v should equal 0. So I said:

0 = 32.3 m/s - (9.8 m/s2)(t seconds)
t = 3.30 seconds, which should be the time it takes the ball to go from the halfway point to its maximum height, assuming subbing in speed for velocity didn't make the equation explode. I'm having trouble getting anything else useful without knowing the initial velocity or some other piece of information.

Physics news on Phys.org
If h is the height, then

v^2 - vo^2 = - 2*g*h/2 ...(1)

0 - vo^2 = - 2*g*h...(2) Or gh = vo^2/2. Substitute this value in the eq.(1)

v^2 - vo^2 = vo^2/2

v is given. Solve for vo and proceed.

I'm not sure I understand:

in equation 1, we're using h/2, so the ball is at half height.
then in equation 2, we're setting v = 0, indicating the ball is at its maximum height.

Since those two equations are partially solved for different values of x, we can't sub them into one another correctly, can we?

rl.bhat has given us a very nice method - much better than solving the quadratic distance formula for time as I did!

You are quite right, we must be very careful using a formula for two different parts of the flight. I would carefully write a heading for "second half of rise" and another for "whole rise". In the first part, you can use the 32.3 m/s as the initial velocity and h/2 as the distance. In the second part, the initial v is unknown and the distance is h.

For (b), I would use the equation v = v0 + at, but I do not know the initial velocity of the ball. Without that information, I cannot accurately answer this part of the problem.

For (c), I would use the equation x - x0 = vt - 1/2 (at^2), but again, without knowing the initial velocity or some other piece of information, I cannot accurately answer this part of the problem.

For (d), at its maximum height, the ball is momentarily at rest, so its acceleration would be equal to the acceleration due to gravity, which is 9.8 m/s^2.

Related to What Are the Unknowns in This Free Fall Ball Problem?

1. What is the equation for calculating the height of a free fall ball?

The equation for calculating the height of a free fall ball is h = 1/2 * g * t^2, where h is the height, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time the ball is in free fall.

2. How do you calculate the time it takes for a free fall ball to reach a certain height?

To calculate the time it takes for a free fall ball to reach a certain height, you can use the equation t = √(2h/g), where t is the time and h is the desired height. This equation assumes that the ball is dropped from rest and there is no air resistance.

3. Does the mass of the ball affect its free fall height?

No, the mass of the ball does not affect its free fall height. According to the equation h = 1/2 * g * t^2, the height is only dependent on the acceleration due to gravity and the time the ball is in free fall, not its mass.

4. How does air resistance affect the height of a free fall ball?

Air resistance can significantly affect the height of a free fall ball. As the ball falls, it experiences air resistance which creates a force in the opposite direction of its motion. This force decreases the acceleration of the ball, causing it to fall slower and therefore not reach the same height as it would without air resistance.

5. Can the height of a free fall ball be negative?

Yes, the height of a free fall ball can be negative. A negative height indicates that the ball is below the starting point or reference level. This can occur if the ball is thrown downwards or if it falls from a higher point to a lower point.