What are the units for angular velocity in this hydraulic piston mechanism?

In summary: So in summary, the units for angular velocity are indeed radians per second and not revolutions per second.
fluidmech

Homework Statement

Hello, I am doing a mechanisms homework assignment in which a hydraulic piston moves out and moves a link connected to the piston in an angular fashion. I'm just a bit confused about the units of angular velocity and I feel very foolish asking this.

Homework Equations

[tex]\omega \times r = v[/tex]
[tex]\omega = \frac{v}{r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] v=0.751751\frac{m}{s} [/tex]
[tex] r=0.6 m [/tex]
[tex] \omega=\frac{v}{r}=\frac{0.751751 \frac{m}{s}}{0.6 m} = 1.25 \frac{rad}{s} [/tex]

Can someone just double check that the units are indeed radians per second? SI units for angular velocity is rad/s.. and this is SI. Just want to double check that it's not rev per second. I know, it's foolish. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
fluidmech said:

Homework Statement

Hello, I am doing a mechanisms homework assignment in which a hydraulic piston moves out and moves a link connected to the piston in an angular fashion. I'm just a bit confused about the units of angular velocity and I feel very foolish asking this.

Homework Equations

[tex]\omega \times r = v[/tex]
[tex]\omega = \frac{v}{r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] v=0.751751\frac{m}{s} [/tex]
[tex] r=0.6 m [/tex]
[tex] \omega=\frac{v}{r}=\frac{0.751751 \frac{m}{s}}{0.6 m} = 1.25 \frac{rad}{s} [/tex]

Can someone just double check that the units are indeed radians per second? SI units for angular velocity is rad/s.. and this is SI. Just want to double check that it's not rev per second. I know, it's foolish. Thanks in advance!

Yes, it's radians/sec. rev/sec differs by a factor of 2pi. To convince yourself, if v=1m/sec and r=1m and the motion is circular then v/r=1/sec but it would take you 2pi seconds to get around the whole circle and make a rev.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

Related to What are the units for angular velocity in this hydraulic piston mechanism?

1. What is Angular Velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates or moves around a central point, measured in radians per second (rad/s).

2. What are the units used to measure Angular Velocity?

The units used to measure angular velocity are radians per second (rad/s), revolutions per minute (RPM), and degrees per second (deg/s).

3. How is Angular Velocity different from Linear Velocity?

Angular velocity measures the rotational speed of an object, while linear velocity measures the speed of an object in a straight line.

4. How do you calculate Angular Velocity?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. The formula is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angular displacement, and Δt is the change in time.

5. What are some real-life examples of Angular Velocity?

Some real-life examples of angular velocity include the rotation of a wheel, the spinning of a top, and the movement of a Ferris wheel. It is also used in sports, such as the spinning of a ball in basketball or the rotation of a figure skater.