What are the two possibilities for its x component?

• Thread starter confused-vectors
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Component
In summary, the vector has a magnitude of 90.0 units and a y component of -55.0 units. If you add the x component to the original vector, the resultant vector would have a magnitude of 80.0 units and would point entirely in the -x direction.
confused-vectors
HELP ASAP--vectors

You are given a vector in the xy plane that has a magnitude of 90.0 units and a y component of -55.0 units.

a) what are the two possibilities for its x component?

b) assuming the x component is known to be positive, specify the vector which, if you add it to the original one, would give a resultant vector that is 80.0 units long and points entirely in the -x direction.

I have no idea how to do this. I thought I did it correctly but now I'm not so sure.

if you could do this step by step that would be great. Don't get too high tech on me though because you will confuse me more and I won't get what you're saying. lol.

I saw someone with a similar problem but she got part a and I didn't.

thanks a ton. :-p

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For a) it's just sqrt(-55^2 + x^2) has to add up to 90. Solve for x, then since it's the magnitude (absolute value), it can be either + or - x

B) Says x is positive, so that would be the first answer you get in part a). Now you want to make a vector that cancels out with the Y component (makes it 0). You can setup a simple equation like you do in the first part or just look at it and see the answer. Also the new vector needs to add to the x component to make it 90. So same thing.

Last edited:
Skippy said:
For a) it's just sqrt(-55^2 + x^2) has to add up to 90. Solve for x, then since it's the magnitude (absolute value), it can be either + or - x

B) Says x is positive, so that would be the first answer you get in part a). Now you want to make a vector that cancels out with the Y component (makes it 0). You can setup a simple equation like you do in the first part or just look at it and see the answer. Also the new vector needs to add to the x component to make it 90. So same thing.

Okay so I DID do part a right...good-Thanks.

but part b, I have (71.24,-55) to (-80,0) [I made a typo earlier, it's not 90 units long, it's 80.0, sorry). that's right I know but I don't get what equation to use after that? :rolleyes:

You don't really need any equations, you can just break it up into components and do some algebra.

(x1,y1) + (x2,y2) = (x3,y3) or (72.5, -55) + (x2,y2) = (-80,0)

and for that you just add the components (x + x2 = x3 and y + y2 = y3).

Skippy said:
You don't really need any equations, you can just break it up into components and do some algebra.

(x1,y1) + (x2,y2) = (x3,y3) or (72.5, -55) + (x2,y2) = (-80,0)

and for that you just add the components (x + x2 = x3 and y + y2 = y3).

okay i get that. so i got (-151.24, 55). is that how i'd leave the answer? "since it says specify the vector.." is there a different form i should put it in?

That should be good. Only other thing you could do is draw em.

thank you so much, you're amazing.

i only have one other problem i don't get but whatever.

Related to What are the two possibilities for its x component?

1. What are the two possibilities for its x component?

The two possibilities for the x component are positive or negative, depending on the direction of the vector. If the vector is pointing to the right, the x component will be positive. If the vector is pointing to the left, the x component will be negative.

2. How do you determine the x component of a vector?

To determine the x component of a vector, you need to know the magnitude and direction of the vector. The x component is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the cosine of the angle between the vector and the x-axis.

3. Can the x component of a vector be zero?

Yes, the x component of a vector can be zero. This means that the vector is either pointing directly up or down, parallel to the y-axis. In this case, the x component is not relevant and is considered to be zero.

4. Are the two possibilities for the x component equally likely?

No, the two possibilities for the x component are not equally likely. The direction of the vector determines whether the x component will be positive or negative, so it depends on the specific vector and its direction.

5. How does the x component of a vector affect its overall magnitude?

The x component of a vector affects its overall magnitude by contributing to the total length of the vector. The magnitude of a vector is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which takes into account both the x and y components of the vector.