What are the top undergraduate textbook in Classical Mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses various textbooks for classical mechanics and recommendations for different levels of understanding. The books mentioned include Classical Mechanics by Douglas Gregory, John Taylor, Feynman, AP French, Kleppner & Kolenkow, Goldstein, David Morin, YK Lim, Sidney B Cahn, Fundamental Laws of Mechanics by Igor Irodov, Scheck, Kuypers, Goldstein, Landau, Marion, Thorndike, Becker, Baierlein, Barger, Olson, and Moore. The speaker notes that some of these books have errors and recommends checking for errata online. They also mention using multiple books to fill in gaps in understanding due to inadequate instruction.
shinobi20
I currently have Classical Mechanics by Douglas Gregory. I found that there are a lot of errors in his text mostly in Chapter 6 (Energy Conservation). Before I read some parts of Classical Mechanics by John Taylor but felt that he is too verbose that is why I have tried to scan other text. Any more recommendations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Introductory freshman level : Feynman, AP French

Newtonian Mechanics : Kleppner & Kolenkow

Analytical Mechanics : Goldstein (2nd edition is better)

Nice Problem Book : David Morin text, YK Lim, Sidney B Cahn

The best book on this subject is:

Fundamental Laws of Mechanics by Igor Irodov

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007ASWBW/?tag=pfamazon01-20

(It's a recommended reading text in any decent university, but some lecturers are sometimes lazy to recommend books to students)

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to know if anyone knows some errata or compiled errors in the book of Gregory?

I've never even heard of that book. If it's full of errors like you said, then probably, you'd better use another book, written by an author who cares enough to not Publish things ridden with errors.

I think two of the best books is the one by Scheck (vol. 1 of his lectures on theoretical physics) and the one by Kuypers. I'm pretty sure there exists an English translation of Scheck's, but not whether there's one for Kuypers's.

My teacher only recommends two: Goldstein and Landau, but I prefer Goldstein's. It has everything you need to know and much more, and it's worth it if you have the patience and time to read the text. Or else just scroll to the important parts.

Looking at my bookshelf, I am seeing a number of books that have not been mentioned.

Undergraduate level:
Marion, now Marion and Thorndike
Becker (old, but very insightful)
Baierlein
Barger and Olson

Graduate:
Moore

Now, I will say, that during my school career, I used Marion for under grad and Moore for graduate, neither instructor was very good, so I had to fill in the gaps and learn it using other books. When I went back for my PhD, I used Goldstein, still didn't have a really good instructor, so really had to fill in the gaps. I will say that the Schaum's outline is pretty good, light on theory but heavy on good problems.

Related to What are the top undergraduate textbook in Classical Mechanics?

1. What is Classical Mechanics?

Classical Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects, both at rest and in motion, under the influence of forces.

2. Why is it important to study Classical Mechanics?

Classical Mechanics provides the foundation for understanding the laws of motion and how objects behave in the physical world. It is also essential for many other fields of science, such as engineering and astronomy.

3. What are the main topics covered in a Classical Mechanics textbook?

A typical undergraduate Classical Mechanics textbook covers topics such as kinematics, Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy and momentum, rotational motion, and oscillations.

4. What are some of the top undergraduate textbooks in Classical Mechanics?

Some popular options include "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor, "An Introduction to Mechanics" by Daniel Kleppner and Robert J. Kolenkow, and "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin.

5. Are there any prerequisites for studying Classical Mechanics?

A strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus and vector algebra, is necessary for understanding Classical Mechanics. Some knowledge of introductory physics concepts, such as kinematics and forces, is also helpful.