What are the TLA's commonly used in Engineering Management?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the speaker's upcoming Engineering Management exam and their struggles with understanding certain TLA's (three-letter acronyms) used in the course. They were able to figure out some of the acronyms, but still had questions about others. With the help of a friend, they were able to determine the meaning of some of the acronyms, including ERP, RPN, ECO, DTI, and USP. The speaker wished the other person good luck on their exam and the conversation ended with a friendly farewell.
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm not really sure where this should go, I'm sure it'll find a home sooner or later.

Anyway, I've got an Engineering Management exam tomorrow, and my revision has revealed some holes in my knowledge. Amongst other things, there are a few TLA's for which I'm struggling to find definitions. The lecturer is a big fan of using acronyms without defining them (he uses DBP's a lot in the examples in his notes, I've just found out that they're disc brake pads!)

ERP? I have no idea about this, though the context is planning (perhaps this is the 'P'?)
RPN? I know that RPNs are the scores given by an FMEA, but what does it stand for?
ECO? No idea, but I know they're reduced by the use of a HOQ.
EMV? Again, the context is planning.
SMED? No idea.
QFD? Is this another way of saying HOQ?!
SPC? Should be pertaining to the Japanese paradigm?
NPD? I know it's a lead time, but what does it stand for?
DTI? In the context of government financing, would this be the Department of Trade and Industry?
USP? Unique Selling Point perhaps? Context is marketing.

I've already managed to work out what AON, AOA, JIT, FMAE, ESD, EFD, LSD, LFD, HOQ, TQM, ROS and ROCE are, but the remaining others are bugging me a bit.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am not a management type, but from my experience these are what they mean to me. Perhaps they fit in for your terms:

ERP: Enterprise Resource Planning (config. management)
RPN: Risk Priority Number (six sigma crap)
ECO: Engineering Change Order
EMV: ?
SMED: Single Minute Exchange of Dies (had to look this one up http://smed.tpfeurope.com/ )
QFD: Quality Function Deployment
SPC: Statistical Process Control
NPD: New Product Development
DTI: ?
USP: ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers Fred!

A management chick friend of mine has filled in a few blanks. FYI, DTI turned out to be the Department of Trade and Industry (a UK thing), and a USP is a Unique Selling Point.

Thanks for those, let's hope they come in handy in the morning...

Good luck.

Cheerio. Pip-pip. :wink:

Related to What are the TLA's commonly used in Engineering Management?

1. What does TLA stand for in Engineering Management?

TLA stands for "Three Letter Acronym". This term is often used in engineering management to refer to the many abbreviations and acronyms that are commonly used in the field.

2. What are some common TLA's used in Engineering Management?

Some common TLA's used in engineering management include KPI (Key Performance Indicator), ROI (Return on Investment), and P&L (Profit and Loss).

3. How are TLA's used in Engineering Management?

TLA's are used in engineering management as a way to communicate complex concepts and ideas in a concise and efficient manner. They are often used in reports, presentations, and discussions among engineering teams and management.

4. Are TLA's specific to the engineering industry?

No, TLA's are used in many industries and fields, including engineering, finance, and technology. They are a common way to communicate technical or specialized information in a shortened form.

5. How can I learn more about TLA's in Engineering Management?

To learn more about TLA's in engineering management, you can consult industry-specific resources, attend seminars or workshops, or network with other professionals in the field. You can also do research on specific TLA's to understand their meanings and applications.

Back