What Are the Tests for Independence in Probability Statistics?

In summary, probability in statistics is the measure of the likelihood of an event occurring and is expressed as a number between 0 and 1. It is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations while experimental probability is based on actual observations. Probability plays a crucial role in statistics, as it is used for making predictions, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions. In real life, probability is used in various fields such as weather forecasting, stock market analysis, and decision making in fields like medicine and psychology.
Biochemgirl2002
Homework Statement
2. Let A and B be events with P(A) = 0.5, P(B) = 0.3 and P(A
and B) = 0.8.
A. Find P(A∩B).
B. Are A and B independent events? Explain.
C. Are A and B mutually exclusive? Explain.
Relevant Equations
P(A or B) = P(A)-P(B)
A) (0.5)-(0.3)
=0.2

b)
c) i have no clue how to determine from just a set of numbers if they are independant or mutually exclusive

Physics news on Phys.org
rhiana said:
Homework Statement: 2. Let A and B be events with P(A) = 0.5, P(B) = 0.3 and P(A
and B) = 0.8.
A. Find P(A∩B).
B. Are A and B independent events? Explain.
C. Are A and B mutually exclusive? Explain.
Homework Equations: P(A or B) = P(A)-P(B)

A) (0.5)-(0.3)
=0.2

b)
c) i have no clue how to determine from just a set of numbers if they are independant or mutually exclusive
The first thing you need to do is look up some definitions.
What does ##P(A\cap B)## mean? (Hint: It does not mean ##P(A \text{ or } B)##.)
What does it mean for events to be independent?
What does it mean for events to be mutually exclusive?

tnich said:
The first thing you need to do is look up some definitions.
What does ##P(A\cap B)## mean? (Hint: It does not mean ##P(A \text{ or } B)##.)
What does it mean for events to be independent?
What does it mean for events to be mutually exclusive?
i think i believe that it means only the intercept between a and b
which i found out was actually zero

if there is no intercept then they are mutually exclusive,

now that i know this . i am still having trouble understanding if they are independant
i found this website (https://www.zweigmedia.com/RealWorl...t for Independence,if not, they are dependent.) where they say that if they don't follow those 3 equations they are dependant, and so i believe it is dependant

rhiana said:
i think i believe that it means only the intercept between a and b
which i found out was actually zero

if there is no intercept then they are mutually exclusive,

now that i know this . i am still having trouble understanding if they are independant
i found this website (https://www.zweigmedia.com/RealWorld/tutorialsf15e/frames7_5C.html#targetText=Test for Independence,if not, they are dependent.) where they say that if they don't follow those 3 equations they are dependant, and so i believe it is dependant
Right, ##P(A\cap B)## is the probability of the intersection of events (sets) ##A## and ##B##, and you are correct that if that probability is zero then the events are mutually exclusive.
The tests for independence that you found are correct, and the events are independent. The key concept here is that events are independent if knowing whether one occurred does not change the probability that the other occurred. That is the meaning of ##P(A|B)= P(A)##; the probability of ##A## given that you know ##B## has occurred is the the same as the probability of ##A## without knowledge of ##B##.

Related to What Are the Tests for Independence in Probability Statistics?

What is probability statistics?

Probability statistics is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of uncertainty and randomness. It involves using mathematical tools and techniques to analyze and interpret data in order to make predictions and informed decisions.

What are the different types of probability statistics?

There are three main types of probability statistics: descriptive, inferential, and predictive. Descriptive statistics involves summarizing and describing data, while inferential statistics involves making inferences and drawing conclusions about a population based on a sample. Predictive statistics uses data to make predictions about future events or outcomes.

What is the difference between probability and statistics?

Probability is the measure of the likelihood of an event occurring, while statistics is the science of collecting, organizing, analyzing, and interpreting data. Probability is used to predict the likelihood of future events, while statistics is used to make sense of past and present data.

What are some real-world applications of probability statistics?

Probability statistics has many real-world applications, including risk management, predicting stock market trends, weather forecasting, and medical research. It is also used in fields such as engineering, finance, and sports to make informed decisions and predictions based on data.

How can probability statistics be used to make decisions?

Probability statistics can be used to make decisions by analyzing and interpreting data to determine the likelihood of certain outcomes. It can also help identify patterns and trends in data, and inform decision-making by considering potential risks and uncertainties. Additionally, probability statistics can be used to evaluate the effectiveness of different strategies or options.