What are the tension and acceleration in this pulleys and rope problem?

In summary, according to the conversation, the tension in the rope is half the weight of mass 2 (14.7 N) and the acceleration of mass 1 is 1.47 m/s^2. However, the textbook gives different values of 13.7 N and 1.37 m/s^2. After further discussion and calculations, it was determined that the acceleration of mass 2 is half of mass 1, resulting in an acceleration of 1.37 m/s^2 for mass 1. This reasoning was deemed correct by the expert summarizer.
Teegvin
Mass 1 = 10.0 kg
Mass 2 = 3.00 kg

The pulleys and rope are massless, and there is no friction.

What is the tension in the rope?

What is the acceleration of mass 1?

If my thinking is correct, the tension is half the weight of mass 2 (14.7 N), and the acceleration of mass 1 is 1.47 m/s^2.

My textbook gives the solutions as 13.7 N and 1.37 m/s^2.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Teegvin said:
If my thinking is correct, the tension is half the weight of mass 2...
What makes you think that? Show your work and we can see what happened.

You're right about the tension being evenly distributed on both sides of mass 2, but mass 2 isn't stationary. As mass 1 slides across the table, mass 2 is moving downward, so the net is less than weight of mass 2.

Try thinking about mass 1 first. The force required (10kg * a) equals the tension on either side of mass 2.

BobG said:
Try thinking about mass 1 first. The force required (10kg * a) equals the tension on either side of mass 2.

I figured it out after I read this, and after I realized that the acceleration of mass 2 is half that of mass 1, because it goes half the distance in the same time.

m2(a1)/2 = m2g - 2T
= m2g - 2(10a1)
m2(a1)/2 + 20a1 = m2g
(3/2)a1 + 20a1 = 3g
(43/2)a1 = 3(9.80)
a1 = 1.37

Is this reasoning correct?

Looks good to me. (As a matter of style, I would solve for the acceleration in terms of m1 and m2. I wouldn't plug in the actual masses until the last step. But you've got it!)

Related to What are the tension and acceleration in this pulleys and rope problem?

What is a pulley and rope problem?

A pulley and rope problem is a physics problem that involves a system of pulleys and ropes to lift or lower an object. It is used to study the principles of mechanics and how forces act on objects.

How do pulleys and ropes work?

Pulleys and ropes work together to change the direction and magnitude of a force. The pulley acts as a simple machine, redirecting the force applied by the rope to make it easier to lift or lower an object.

What are the different types of pulleys?

There are three types of pulleys: fixed, movable, and compound. A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object and only changes the direction of the force. A movable pulley is attached to the object being moved and reduces the effort needed to lift the load. A compound pulley combines both fixed and movable pulleys to provide a mechanical advantage.

How do you calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is calculated by dividing the output force (the force needed to lift or lower the object) by the input force (the force applied to the rope). The number of ropes supporting the object also affects the mechanical advantage.

What are some real-world applications of pulleys and ropes?

Pulleys and ropes have many practical applications in daily life, such as elevators, cranes, and flagpoles. They are also used in exercise equipment, theatrical rigging, and rock climbing equipment. Pulleys and ropes are essential tools for lifting heavy objects or applying a force over a distance with minimal effort.