What are the strategies of root competition in the forest?

In summary, trees and plants compete for survival just like other species. They compete for sunlight and nutrients in the soil. If you're a tree who wants to catch some rays, the goal is to grow as big and tall as possible, and make the enemy trees eat shade. But how do they compete for nutrients in the earth? Do the roots try to tangle each other, strangle each other, play paper-rock-scissors or what? Do roots have territorial conflicts, or do they not actually meet?Based on what I know about root dynamics, it seems to me that the competition would simply be as straight forward as space and nutrient supplies. If there are roots everywhere, then the new roots growing outward have
False Prophet
I learned that trees and plants compete for survival just like other species. They compete for sunlight and nutrients in the soil. If you're a tree who wants to catch some rays, the goal is to grow as big and tall as possible, and make the enemy trees eat shade. But how do they compete for nutrients in the earth? Do the roots try to tangle each other, strangle each other, play paper-rock-scissors or what? Do roots have territorial conflicts, or do they not actually meet? I'm wondering what goes on in the forest underground.

Biology news on Phys.org
Knowing virtually nothing about plant root dynamics, this is just a guess, but it makes a lot of sense to me, so I'll go with it until told otherwise.

It seems to me that the competition would simply be as straight forward as space and nutrient supplies. If there are roots everywhere, then the new roots growing outward have to move around the existing roots. I doubt that this would be a real problem though, there would be much more soil space than any competing roots would take up. So the next aspect would be nutrient supply, but actually, thinking on this more, nutrient poor soils is actually a problem, not a normal state phenomenon. To suppose that there is a limited supply of nutrients being competed for seems a bit extreme.

Perhaps there is competition to be closest to the top of the soil though, to catch the new nutrients as they enter the soil from decomposing matter?

Also knowing nothing about root dynamics, I'll say this based on other competition mechanisms in nature...
(1) competition for space
(2) competition for nutrient uptake (e.g., most efficient)
(3) competition nutrient usage (e.g., ability to use more diverse or more limited nutrients)

I'd be interested to hear about any root-ish warfare. Chemical releases? Co-opting parasites?

Related to What are the strategies of root competition in the forest?

1. What is competition at the root level?

Competition at the root level refers to the competition among plants for resources such as water, nutrients, and sunlight in the soil. It is a type of interspecific competition that occurs between different plant species.

2. How does competition at the root level affect plant growth?

Competition at the root level can limit the growth of plants by reducing the availability of essential resources. This can lead to stunted growth, reduced productivity, and even death in some cases.

3. What strategies do plants use to compete at the root level?

Plants use various strategies to compete at the root level, such as developing larger root systems, producing allelopathic chemicals that inhibit the growth of neighboring plants, and forming symbiotic relationships with fungi to improve nutrient uptake.

4. How does competition at the root level impact biodiversity?

Competition at the root level can lead to a decrease in biodiversity as stronger and more competitive plant species outcompete and dominate over weaker species. This can result in a decrease in the overall diversity of plant species in an ecosystem.

5. Can competition at the root level be beneficial?

Yes, competition at the root level can also have positive effects on plant growth. It can stimulate the production of root exudates, which can attract beneficial microorganisms and improve nutrient availability in the soil. It can also promote the development of stronger and more resilient root systems in plants.