What Are the Singularity and Residue of \( \frac{e^{z^2}}{(z-i)^3} \)?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the singularity and residue for the function $\frac{e^{z^2}}{(1-z)^3}$. After some mistakes are corrected, it is determined that the function has a triple pole at $z = 1$ and a residue of $\frac{-1}{e}$.
aruwin
Hello.
Can you check this for me, please?
Find the singularity of $\frac{e^{z^2}}{(1-z)^3}$ and find the residue for each singularity.

My solution:
There is a triple pole at z=i, therefore

$$Res_{|z=i|}f(z)=\frac{1}{2}\lim_{{z}\to{i}}\frac{d^2}{dz^2}(z-i)^3\frac{e^{z^2}}{(1-z)^3}=\lim_{{z}\to{i}}\frac{d^2}{dz^2}e^{z^2}=\lim_{{z}\to{i}}4z^2e^{z^2}$$$$=\frac{1}{2}\frac{-4}{e}=\frac{-2}{e}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
aruwin said:
Hello.
Can you check this for me, please?
Find the singularity of $\frac{e^{z^2}}{(1-z)^3}$ and find the residue for each singularity.

My solution:
There is a triple pole at z=i, therefore

$$Res_{|z=i|}f(z)=\frac{1}{2}\lim_{{z}\to{i}}\frac{d^2}{dz^2}(z-i)^3\frac{e^{z^2}}{(1-z)^3}=\lim_{{z}\to{i}}\frac{d^2}{dz^2}e^{z^2}=\lim_{{z}\to{i}}4z^2e^{z^2}$$$$=\frac{1}{2}\frac{-4}{e}=\frac{-2}{e}$$

The triple pole is at $z = 1$, not $z = i$.

Also, the second derivative of $e^{z^2}$ is not $4z^2e^{z^2}$.

Hint :

Expand $e^{z^2}$ around $z=1$.

Now I realize that I wrote the function wrong. It's actually
$$f(z)=\frac{e^{z^2}}{(z-i)^3}$$

Now after correcting a few things, I got
$$\frac{-1}{e}$$ as the answer.

Related to What Are the Singularity and Residue of \( \frac{e^{z^2}}{(z-i)^3} \)?

1. What is a singularity in mathematics?

A singularity in mathematics refers to a point where a function or expression becomes undefined or infinite. This can occur when the denominator of a fraction becomes zero, resulting in an undefined value.

2. How is a singularity different from a pole?

A singularity and a pole are both points where a function becomes undefined or infinite. However, a pole is a type of singularity where the function approaches infinity in a specific way, while a singularity can occur in various forms.

3. What is the residue of a function at a singularity?

The residue of a function at a singularity is the value that remains when all other terms in the function are removed. It is typically used to calculate the value of a complex integral around a singularity.

4. How is the residue calculated at a simple pole?

The residue at a simple pole can be calculated by taking the limit as the variable approaches the pole of the function multiplied by (x-pole), where p is the location of the pole.

5. Why are singularities and residues important in mathematics?

Singularities and residues play a crucial role in complex analysis and are used to solve various problems in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They also help in understanding the behavior of functions near these points, which can have significant implications in real-world applications.