What are the SI units for measuring magnetic fields?

In summary, teslas measure a magnetic fields dimensions and webers measure a magnetic fields strength.
Bashyboy
Hi, I was curious as to what webers and teslas measure. As I read up on them I was able to speculate that teslas measured a magnetic fields dimensions and webers measured a magnetic fields strength; obviously though, this is a mere speculation: so please correct me if I am mistaken.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Tesla is the SI unit for magnetic induction. Weber is for magnetic flux.

Tesla is the unit of magnetic field too if I remember correctly.

Tesla is a measure of the strength of a magnetic field.

Webers are T/s, or a rate of change of the magnetic field.

Henry is a measure of inductance, which is ohm seconds.

iRaid said:
Tesla is the unit of magnetic field too if I remember correctly.
This is a term used sometimes, in a loose manner, when everybody knows what they are talking about and there is no confusion. The proper name is induction of the field, B and is measured in Tesla. The intensity of the magnetic field (H) is measured in A/m.
So the magnetic field can be measured by two quantities and in empty space B is just proportional to H.

Last edited:
khemist said:
Tesla is a measure of the strength of a magnetic field.

Webers are T/s, or a rate of change of the magnetic field.

Henry is a measure of inductance, which is ohm seconds.

Indeed Tesla is the unit for the induction of the field which is a meausre of "strength".

1 Wb = 1T*1m^2.
It measures magnetic flux and not the rate of change of magnetic field. The flux can be defined for both constant and variable fields.

nasu said:
Indeed Tesla is the unit for the induction of the field which is a meausre of "strength".

1 Wb = 1T*1m^2.
It measures magnetic flux and not the rate of change of magnetic field. The flux can be defined for both constant and variable fields.

Oh yes I was mistaken. Thanks for the correction.

Thank you all for your input, appreciate it.

Related to What are the SI units for measuring magnetic fields?

1. What is the definition of a weber?

A weber (symbol: Wb) is the SI unit of magnetic flux and magnetic flux density. It is defined as the amount of magnetic flux passing through a surface of one square meter perpendicular to a magnetic field of one tesla.

2. How is a weber measured in practical terms?

A weber is typically measured using a device called a magnetometer, which can measure the strength and direction of a magnetic field. The unit is also commonly used in the measurement of electrical currents and motors.

3. What is the relationship between webers and teslas?

A weber is directly related to the magnetic flux density, or strength, of a magnetic field. One weber is equal to one tesla per square meter. This means that a magnetic field with a strength of one tesla passing through a surface of one square meter will produce one weber of magnetic flux.

4. How are webers and teslas used in everyday life?

Webers and teslas are commonly used in the fields of physics and engineering, particularly in the study and design of electrical and magnetic systems. They are also used in everyday devices such as speakers, motors, and generators.

5. Are webers and teslas interchangeable units?

No, webers and teslas are not interchangeable units. They measure different aspects of a magnetic field and have different conversion factors. However, they are closely related and are often used together in calculations and measurements.