What Are the Shear Stress and Angle of Twist for a Steel Member Under Torque?

In summary, the problem involves a 3.5 m long steel member with a W310 x 143 cross-section and a torque of 4.5KNm, with a known value of G=77GPa. The maximum shearing stress along the line a-a is 37.657MPa, and along the line b-b is 23.02MPa. The angle of twist is calculated to be 3.3199 degrees, but the correct answer is 4.72 degrees. To find the correct answer, the torque may need to be separated for the flange and web.
Dell
A 3.5 m long steel member with a W310 x 143 cross- section is subjected to 4.5KNm torque. Knowing that G=77GPa, determine (a) the maximum shearing stress along the line a-a, (b) the maximum shearing stress along the line b-b, (c) the angle of twist

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_H4Iz7SmBrbk/Sysfg6WJmLI/AAAAAAAACBI/SsE4jsJMYAE/22.jpg

i know that

[tex]\tau[/tex]=[tex]\frac{M*t}{Jeq}[/tex]

while Jeq=[tex]\frac{1}{3}[/tex][tex]\sum[/tex]hibi3

Jeq=1/3*((0.309*0.02293) +(0.309*0.02293) + (0.2872*0.0143))

Jeq=2.7365e-6

[tex]\tau[/tex]=[tex]\frac{4500*t}{2.7365e-6}[/tex]

a)

[tex]\tau[/tex]a-a=[tex]\frac{4500*0.0229}{2.7365e-6}[/tex]

=3.7657e7
=37.657MPa

b)

[tex]\tau[/tex]b-b=[tex]\frac{4500*0.014}{2.7365e-6}[/tex]

= 2.3022e7
=23.02MPa

(according to my book the correct answers are meant to be 39.7MPa and 24.2MPa)

for the angle

[tex]\phi[/tex]=M*L/(G*Jeq*[tex]\eta[/tex])

[tex]\eta[/tex]=1.29)

[tex]\phi[/tex]=[tex]\frac{4500*3.5}{77e9*2.7365e-6*1.29}[/tex]

=0.0579rad
= 3.3199 degrees,

but again the correct answer is meant to be 4.72 degrees,

what am i doing wrong??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
i think i need to SOMEHOW find the torque seperately on the flange and web and them somehow solve the problem,, please help someone

I would first check my calculations to see if there were any errors made in the process. It is always important to double check calculations to ensure accuracy. I would also make sure that the units are all consistent and that the values used for G and the dimensions of the cross section are correct.

If everything appears to be correct, I would then consider the possibility of rounding errors. It is possible that the values given in the problem were rounded, and therefore the calculated values may differ slightly from the given correct answers.

Another possibility is that the correct answers were obtained using a different method or formula. Sometimes, there may be multiple ways to solve a problem and different methods may yield slightly different results.

If I am still unable to determine the source of the discrepancy, I would seek guidance from a colleague or consult additional resources to ensure that my calculations and approach are correct. It is important to always strive for accuracy and seek out help when needed in scientific research.

Related to What Are the Shear Stress and Angle of Twist for a Steel Member Under Torque?

What is a cross section?

A cross section is a two-dimensional representation of a three-dimensional object. It is a slice or cut through the object, showing its internal structure and dimensions.

How is cross section used in science?

Cross section is used in science to analyze and understand the internal structure and properties of objects. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology to study the shape, size, and composition of various materials and structures.

What is torque?

Torque, also known as moment of force, is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis or pivot point. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation.

How is torque related to cross section?

Torque is related to cross section through the concept of moment of inertia. Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion and is affected by the object's shape and cross sectional area. A larger cross section can result in a larger moment of inertia, making it more difficult to rotate the object.

What are some real-life examples of cross section and torque?

One example of cross section and torque in action is in the design and construction of buildings and bridges. Engineers must consider the cross sectional shape and area of materials, as well as the torque exerted on the structure by wind, to ensure stability and strength. Another example is in the human body, where cross section and torque play a role in the movement and function of muscles and bones.