What are the roots of a rational equation with given conditions?

In summary: I will try to re-check my solution more carefully next time. Ah, I am sorry mathbalarka! I didn't realize you have edited your post, I responded to your solution based on what I read on your solution that sent to me through the email notification and I apologize. I will try to re-check my solution more carefully next time.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Find all irrational numbers $k$ such that $k^3-17k$ and $k^2+4k$ are both rational numbers.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
$k^2 + 4k = x$ be rational, following the question. Multiplying by $k$, we get $k^3 + 4k^2 = xk$. Substituting $k^2 = x - 4k$ in, one gets $k^3 + 4(x - 4k) = xk$. Thus, $k^3 - 16k = xk - 4x$ which implies $k^3 - 17k = xk - 4x - k = (x - 1)k - 4x$. But this thingy $k^3 - 17k$ is rational as per the question, which implies $(x - 1)k - 4x$ is rational. But $k$ is irrational and $x - 1$ and $4x$ are both rational ($x$ being rational). That'd imply $(x - 1)k - 4x$ is irrational, a contradiction if and only if $x - 1$ is nonzero. Otherwise, $x = 1$ and hence the desired irrationals are the roots of $k^2 + 4k = 1$.

Last edited:
[sp]Let $k^2+4k = r$, rational. The quadratic equation $k^2+4k -r=0$ has solutions $k = -2 \pm\sqrt{4+r}$. Then $k^2 = 8+r \mp\sqrt{4+r}$ and $$k^3 - 17k = k(k^2-17) = (-2 \pm\sqrt{4+r})(-9+r \mp\sqrt{4+r}) = -2 -6r \pm(r-1)\sqrt{4+r}.$$ For that to be rational, we must have $r=1$ (because $\sqrt{4+r}$ must be irrational). That gives the solutions $k = -2\pm\sqrt5.$[/sp]

$k^2+4k$ is rational so $(k^2+ 4k + 4)$ or $(k+2)^2$

so $k = -2 \pm \sqrt{q}$ where q is rational but not square of rational

take $k = \sqrt{q}-2$ and
so we get
$k^3-17k$
= $(\sqrt{q} - 2)^3- 17(\sqrt{q}- 2)$
now take the irrational part to be zero to get
$q\sqrt{q} + 12\sqrt{q} - 17\sqrt{q}=0$ or q = 5
so one solution $\sqrt(5) - 2$
taking -ve q we get $-2-\sqrt{5}$
the 2 solutions are $\sqrt(5) - 2$ and $-2-\sqrt{5}$

Last edited:
mathbalarka said:
$k^2 + 4k = x$ be rational, following the question. Multiplying by $k$, we get $k^3 + 4k^2 = xk$. Substituting $k^2 = x - 4k$ in, one gets $k^3 + 4(x - 4k) = xk$. Thus, $k^3 - 16k = xk - 4x$ which implies $k^3 - 17k = xk - 4x - k = (x - 1)k - 4x$. But this thingy $k^3 - 17k$ is rational as per the question, which implies $(x - 1)k - 4x$ is rational. But $k$ is irrational and $x - 1$ and $4x$ are both rational ($x$ being rational). That'd imply $(x - 1)k - 4x$ is irrational, a contradiction if and only if $x - 1$ is nonzero. Otherwise, $x = 1$ and hence the desired irrationals are the roots of $k^2 + 4k = 1$.

Hey mathbalarka, thanks for participating. Even though your conclusion is wrong, if you want to re-check your approach, just know that you're always welcome to re-submit of your most satisfied solution!(Yes)

Opalg said:
[sp]Let $k^2+4k = r$, rational. The quadratic equation $k^2+4k -r=0$ has solutions $k = -2 \pm\sqrt{4+r}$. Then $k^2 = 8+r \mp\sqrt{4+r}$ and $$k^3 - 17k = k(k^2-17) = (-2 \pm\sqrt{4+r})(-9+r \mp\sqrt{4+r}) = -2 -6r \pm(r-1)\sqrt{4+r}.$$ For that to be rational, we must have $r=1$ (because $\sqrt{4+r}$ must be irrational). That gives the solutions $k = -2\pm\sqrt5.$[/sp]

kaliprasad said:
$k^2+4k$ is rational so $(k^2+ 4k + 4)$ or $(k+2)^2$

so $k = -2 \pm \sqrt{q}$ where q is rational but not square of rational

take $k = \sqrt{q}-2$ and
so we get
$k^3-17k$
= $(\sqrt{q} - 2)^3- 17(\sqrt{q}- 2)$
now take the irrational part to be zero to get
$q\sqrt{q} + 12\sqrt{q} - 17\sqrt{q}=0$ or q = 5
so one solution $\sqrt(5) - 2$
taking -ve q we get $-2-\sqrt{5}$
the 2 solutions are $\sqrt(5) - 2$ and $-2-\sqrt{5}$

Thanks to both of you to participating in this challenge of mine and the answer is of course correct! Good job, Opalg! Bravo, kali!

Even though your conclusion is wrong, if you want to re-check your approach, just know that you're always welcome to re-submit of your most satisfied solution!

Ahem. I don't think my conclusion is wrong. The roots of $k^2 + 4k - 1 = 0$ are precisely $-2 \pm \sqrt{5}$, which satisfied your original conditions.

mathbalarka said:
Ahem. I don't think my conclusion is wrong. The roots of $k^2 + 4k - 1 = 0$ are precisely $-2 \pm \sqrt{5}$, which satisfied your original conditions.

Ah, I am sorry mathbalarka! I didn't realize you have edited your post, I responded to your solution based on what I read on your solution that sent to me through the email notification and I apologize.

Related to What are the roots of a rational equation with given conditions?

1. What is an irrational number?

An irrational number is a number that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. These numbers cannot be written as terminating or repeating decimals and their decimal representation continues infinitely without any pattern.

2. How do you find all irrational numbers k?

To find all irrational numbers k, you can use various methods such as the Pythagorean theorem, the square root method, or the continued fraction method. These methods involve finding the square root of a non-perfect square number or by using a formula to generate a sequence of numbers that approach an irrational number.

3. Can all irrational numbers be found?

No, it is impossible to find all irrational numbers as there are infinitely many of them. Moreover, new irrational numbers are being discovered every day, making it impossible to list or find all of them.

4. Are there any patterns in the decimal representation of irrational numbers?

No, there are no patterns in the decimal representation of irrational numbers. Unlike rational numbers, which have repeating or terminating decimals, irrational numbers have an infinite and non-repeating decimal representation.

5. What are some real-life examples of irrational numbers?

Some real-life examples of irrational numbers include pi (π), which is the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter, and the square root of 2, which represents the diagonal of a square with sides of length 1 unit. These numbers cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers and are used in various mathematical calculations and formulas.