What are the pre-requisites for Apostol calculus vol. 2?

In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for advice on whether they should read Apostol's Calculus Volume 2 after finishing Spivak's Calculus. They mention not being proficient in linear algebra and ask for advice. The introduction of Apostol's Calculus Volume 2 states that the last two chapters of Volume 1 have been repeated in Volume 2 to provide a complete understanding of linear algebra. The person responding believes this should be enough background knowledge.
Spearmintz
Hi, so basically i have just finished reading spivak's calculus and quite a lot people in this forum suggested that apostol's vol.2 is a good 'next book' after spivak calculus.

I was just wondering whether apostol's volume 2 presupposes knowledge of linear algebra, because i am not too proficient with it. (i read strang's book on linear algebra quite some time back, so by now quite... you know)

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is from the introduction of Apostol's Calculus volume 2.

The last two chapters of Volume I have been repeated as the
first two chapters of Volume II so that all the material on linear algebra will be complete
in one volume.
Part 1 contains an introduction to linear algebra, including linear transformations,
matrices, determinants, eigenvalues, and quadratic forms.

I believe this should provide sufficient background.

You should be fine.

Related to What are the pre-requisites for Apostol calculus vol. 2?

1. What is Apostol calculus vol. 2?

Apostol calculus vol. 2 is a textbook written by mathematician Tom M. Apostol that covers advanced topics in calculus, such as multivariable calculus, vector calculus, and differential equations.

2. What are the pre-requisites for studying Apostol calculus vol. 2?

The pre-requisites for studying Apostol calculus vol. 2 vary depending on the educational institution, but typically include a strong understanding of single-variable calculus, linear algebra, and basic knowledge of differential equations.

3. Do I need to have read Apostol calculus vol. 1 before studying vol. 2?

No, it is not necessary to have read Apostol calculus vol. 1 before studying vol. 2. However, a strong foundation in single-variable calculus is highly recommended.

4. Is Apostol calculus vol. 2 suitable for self-study?

Apostol calculus vol. 2 can be used for self-study, but it is recommended to have a strong mathematical background and to supplement with additional resources such as practice problems and online lectures.

5. What makes Apostol calculus vol. 2 different from other calculus textbooks?

Apostol calculus vol. 2 is known for its rigorous approach to calculus and its focus on developing mathematical maturity in students. It also covers advanced topics in calculus that are not typically found in other textbooks.