What are the possible values of $x+y$ in this complex number problem?

In summary: Hi, I must disagree with your original statement that direct substitution is not a good idea. I think the simplest way to proceed is via substitution. The attachment shows the solution: $z = \pm 2^{1/4}$.In summary, the problem is to find the possible values of $x+y$ when $z=x+iy$ satisfies the equation $z^2=z+|z^2|+\frac{2}{|z|^3}$. By substituting $z=x+iy$ and comparing the real and imaginary parts, it can be shown that the possible values of $x+y$ are $2^{1/
Saitama
Problem:
Let $z=x+iy$ satisfy $$z^2=z+|z^2|+\frac{2}{|z|^3}$$then the possible values of $x+y$ is

A)$-2^{1/4}$
B)$2^{1/4}$
C)$3^{1/4}$
D)$-5^{1/4}$

Attempt:
Substituting $z=x+iy$ is definitely not a good idea, it can be solved by substituting but since this is an exam problem, I believe that there is a much smarter way to solve the problem. But I am completely clueless about it. The $|z|^3$ factor in the denominator throws me off, I have absolutely no idea. :(

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Have you tried polar coordinates \(\displaystyle z=R e^{i \theta }\) ? I it is easier to work with powers. Moreover we have \(\displaystyle |z|=R\).

ZaidAlyafey said:
Have you tried polar coordinates \(\displaystyle z=R e^{i \theta }\) ? I it is easier to work with powers. Moreover we have \(\displaystyle |z|=R\).

Hi ZaidAlyafey!

Substituting $z=re^{i\theta}$, I get:

$$r^5e^{2i\theta}=r^4e^{i\theta}+r^5+2$$

Comparing the imaginary parts, I get:
$$r^5\sin(2\theta)=r^4\sin\theta \Rightarrow \cos\theta=\frac{1}{2r} (*)$$

Comparing the real parts:
$$r^5\cos(2\theta)=r^4\cos\theta+r^5+2$$
Using (*)
$$r^5\left(2\cdot\frac{1}{4r^2}-1\right)=r^4\cdot\frac{1}{2r}+r^5+2$$
Simplifying:
$$r^3(1-2r^2)=r^3+2r^4+4$$
$$\Rightarrow r^3-2r^5=r^3+2r^5+4 \Rightarrow r^5=-1$$
A negative value for $r$ is not possible. :confused:

Pranav said:
Hi ZaidAlyafey!

Substituting $z=re^{i\theta}$, I get:

$$r^5e^{2i\theta}=r^4e^{i\theta}+r^5+2$$

Comparing the imaginary parts, I get:
$$r^5\sin(2\theta)=r^4\sin\theta \Rightarrow \cos\theta=\frac{1}{2r} (*)$$

Comparing the real parts:
$$r^5\cos(2\theta)=r^4\cos\theta+r^5+2$$
Using (*)
$$r^5\left(2\cdot\frac{1}{4r^2}-1\right)=r^4\cdot\frac{1}{2r}+r^5+2$$
Simplifying:
$$r^3(1-2r^2)=r^3+2r^4+4$$
$$\Rightarrow r^3-2r^5=r^3+2r^5+4 \Rightarrow r^5=-1$$
A negative value for $r$ is not possible. :confused:

When you equate the imaginary parts, there are THREE possible solutions.

Word of God: Do not ever divide by 0, or something that could possibly be 0.

[tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} r^5\sin{(2\theta)} &= r^4\sin{(\theta)} \\ r^5\sin{(2\theta)} - r^4\sin{(\theta)} &= 0 \\ r^4 \left[ r\sin{(2\theta)} - \sin{(\theta)} \right] &= 0 \\ r^4 = 0 \textrm{ or } r\sin{(2\theta)} - \sin{(\theta)} &= 0 \\ r = 0 \textrm{ or } 2r\sin{(\theta)}\cos{(\theta)} - \sin{(\theta)} &= 0 \\ \sin{(\theta)} \left[ 2r\cos{(\theta)} - 1 \right] &= 0 \\ \sin{(\theta)} = 0 \textrm{ or } r\cos{(\theta)} &= \frac{1}{2} \\ \theta = n\pi \textrm{ where } n \in \mathbf{Z} \textrm{ or } r = \frac{1}{2\cos{(\theta)}} \end{align*}[/tex]

You need to check EVERY ONE of these three solutions:

[tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} r = 0 , \theta = n\pi , r = \frac{1}{2\cos{(\theta)}} \end{align*}[/tex]

Prove It said:

divided_by_zero__by_zrandomanimations-d38vxe8.jpg

Prove It said:
When you equate the imaginary parts, there are THREE possible solutions.

[tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} r^5\sin{(2\theta)} &= r^4\sin{(\theta)} \\ r^5\sin{(2\theta)} - r^4\sin{(\theta)} &= 0 \\ r^4 \left[ r\sin{(2\theta)} - \sin{(\theta)} \right] &= 0 \\ r^4 = 0 \textrm{ or } r\sin{(2\theta)} - \sin{(\theta)} &= 0 \\ r = 0 \textrm{ or } 2r\sin{(\theta)}\cos{(\theta)} - \sin{(\theta)} &= 0 \\ \sin{(\theta)} \left[ 2r\cos{(\theta)} - 1 \right] &= 0 \\ \sin{(\theta)} = 0 \textrm{ or } r\cos{(\theta)} &= \frac{1}{2} \\ \theta = n\pi \textrm{ where } n \in \mathbf{Z} \textrm{ or } r = \frac{1}{2\cos{(\theta)}} \end{align*}[/tex]

You need to check EVERY ONE of these three solutions:

[tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} r = 0 , \theta = n\pi , r = \frac{1}{2\cos{(\theta)}} \end{align*}[/tex]

Ah yes, I did take care of $r=0$ solution but the sine one slipped through my mind, I should have been careful. :eek:

Since $r=\frac{1}{2\cos\theta}$ gives no valid solutions, we switch to $\sin\theta=0$. To have valid solutions, we must have
$$\theta=\cdots -4\pi,-2\pi,0,2\pi,4\pi\cdots $$
Substituting the above value of $\theta$ in the equation obtained from comparing the real parts, I get:
$$r^4=2 \Rightarrow r=2^{1/4}$$
Hence, we have $z=2^{1/4}+i\cdot 0$.

Thanks a lot ProveIt and ZaidAlyafey! :)

I like Serena said:
<image>

LOL!

How pity. I checked the case when \(\displaystyle \theta= 0\) but I forgot the case $\theta = \pi$ is also a valid solution.

Guys check this . And I am only wondering how this could be a solution ?!

ZaidAlyafey said:
How pity. I checked the case when \(\displaystyle \theta= 0\) but I forgot the case $\theta = \pi$ is also a valid solution.

Guys check this . And I am only wondering how this could be a solution ?!

ZaidAlyafey, you are right, I cannot use the values of $\theta$ I wrote because if I do, I get:
$$r^5=r^4+r^5+2 \Rightarrow r^4=-2$$
which is not possible.

Instead, the following are the possible values of $\theta$,
$$\theta=\cdots -3\pi,-\pi,\pi,3\pi \cdots$$

Thank you ZaidAlyafey! :eek:

Hi,
I must disagree with your original statement that direct substitution is not a good idea. I think the simplest way to proceed is via substitution. The attachment shows the solution:

2dqj9k9.png

Last edited:

Related to What are the possible values of $x+y$ in this complex number problem?

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real part and an imaginary part. They are in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. How do you add and subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply add or subtract the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 2i) + (5 - 4i) = (3 + 5) + (2i - 4i) = 8 - 2i.

3. What is the conjugate of a complex number?

The conjugate of a complex number is the number with the same real part but the opposite sign on the imaginary part. For example, the conjugate of 3 + 2i is 3 - 2i.

4. How do you multiply and divide complex numbers?

To multiply complex numbers, you use the FOIL method, just like multiplying binomials. To divide complex numbers, you multiply the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the denominator.

5. What are some real-world applications of complex numbers?

Complex numbers have many applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and signal processing. They are used to represent and analyze alternating currents, electromagnetic fields, and oscillatory systems.