What are the possible chances ?

• Thread starter medwatt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chances
In summary, Dave declined a scholarship to study Petroleum Engineering in Ukraine and he has finished his GENERAL degree here (as it is called) after 4 years with a DIV 1 grade. His degree from this obscure university will not be recognized elsewhere.
medwatt
Hello all,
I live in Sierra Leone, West Africa. Here we are still under the British system of Education and so I took the London A Levels Exams some years back. My compiled result is : Math A - Chem A - Phy A - Bio B.
Because of financial constrains and not being a citizen, I couldn't afford studying in UK or the US. Hence, I had to resort to the only university here which offers a discipline I'm interested in. I started studying ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING here some years back and I cannot emphasize enough how bad this university is; lack of competent lectures, lack of laboratories, continuous long periods of strike etc and not to mention I being of the white race too.
Hence my dissatisfaction started to rise ever since university commenced. There is a system in the engineering department here such that getting a Hons degree is attained only after 5 years if and only if a threshold GPA is attained. Without that, a 4 year program ensues where the degree that can be attained is labelled in DIVISION terms such as DIV 1, Div 2 etc and such a degree is termed here as GENERAL.
Given that I felt I was basically wasting time here as lectures are far in-between among other things and also getting a scholarship to study Petroleum Engineering in Ukraine in Ukrainian language, despite having amassed a cumulative GPA of 3.46 (max 4) I decided to salvage whatever is left and decline the offer to go for a fifth year for a Hons degree. I have finished my GENERAL degree here (as it is called) after 4 years with a DIV 1 grade and so my questions;
1. Will my degree elsewhere such as in US or UK count after having received it from such an obscure place ?
2. Almost everywhere I know of, ELEC. ENG. lasts for 4 years. Does it matter that I have a general degree and not the traditional hons?
3. I'm thinking of doing a masters in Aircraft engineering. Will that be possible for someone with an ELEC ENG degree and what are the things I cannot do because I read that all that matters is a degree in science ?

Thank You

Engineering news on Phys.org
No replies !

You better contact one of the mentors to move your question to academic guidance subforum. There your question will be viewed by more people and chances are that you will get your answer.

Problem is I don't know your system. Until I know what classes you have taken, it is impossible to even start talking.

Here's what my ELEC ENG included (what comes to my mind as I'm typing) apart from the general physics, chemistry etc
Not in any order

1. Electric Circuits Networks and Theorems
2. Electrical Machines
3. Maths for engineers such as ODE, Intro into PDE, Fourier, Laplace, Z transforms. Vector Calculus and Analysis, Complex Analysis, Statistics and Probability, Series (Taylor) etc etc . . .
4. Field Theory
5. AC Circuits ++
6. Communications (AM, FM) + Transmission Line Theory
7. Digital Communications (not indepth)
8. Digital Signal Processing
9. Energy Management
10. Industrial Management
11. Power Engineering
12. Power Systems
13. Analog Electronics
14. Digital Electronics
15. Power Electronics
16. Microprocessor Engineering
17. Data Processing
18. Data Communication
19. Control Engineering
20. Materials and Structures (Frames, distribution of load on different types of instructors, torsion, springs etc)
21. Thermodynamics (only 1st and 2nd laws + Carnot engines + diesel engines)
22. Thermofluids (also not indepth)
23. Applied Mechanics
24. Graphics
25. Machine Drawings

This are all what I can remember. But note that some of these modules are not titled as above.
For example:
Electrical Machines is called Power Engineering 1
Power Systems is termed Power Engineering 2
Power Electronics is called Power Engineering 3
Analog Communication is labelled Communication Engineering 1
Digital Communication is called Communication Engineering 2
You get the idea !

So what's the verdict ?

Please can someone enlighten me ?

Well, how do I delete this thread ?

medwatt said:
Well, how do I delete this thread ?

you cant

only a mentor can

Dave

Related to What are the possible chances ?

What are the possible chances?

The possible chances refer to the likelihood or probability of a particular event occurring.

How do scientists determine the possible chances?

Scientists use statistical analysis and data from experiments or observations to determine the possible chances of an event occurring.

What factors influence the possible chances?

The possible chances can be influenced by various factors such as the sample size, type of data, and the methods used to collect and analyze the data.

Can the possible chances change over time?

Yes, the possible chances can change over time as new data is collected and analyzed, leading to a better understanding of the event and its likelihood.

Why is it important to consider the possible chances in scientific research?

Considering the possible chances is important in scientific research as it helps to determine the reliability and significance of the results. It also allows for a better understanding of the natural world and can inform decision-making processes.