What Are the Physics Behind Bungee Jumping?

In summary, Kitty has tried to answer questions 1 and 2, but is not very confident in her physics knowledge and needs help from others to answer question 3.
kittychg
Hi everyone! I am recently doing an assignment for my broadening course. But I really don't know how to answer these questions as I only have basic knowledge for physics. Could anyone help me out? The questions are as follow:

1. Explain why iron chain is not used as bungee jump string instead of an elastic cord.

2. If two identical bungee jump strings are tied to the jumper instead of one bungee jump string, what is the effect on the time for the jumper to bounce up from the minimum point to the equilibrium point for the first time? You may assume that Hooke's law is valid in the mentioned strings.

3. John says, 'It is safe to use a bungee jump string which can only provide a maximum tension (restoring force) just equal to the weight of person.' Comment on John's statement.

Thanks again for help :]

Kitty

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Kitty! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help. :smile:

I have thinked about it and come up with some ideas.

Question1 should be linked to elasticity. As iron chain has less elasticity, it may exert greater force on the bungee jumper and cause damages to his body.

Question2 is related to hooke's law but i don't reli understand what it is about... I guess that the time would be halved as their will be two acting forces??

Question 3... the claim by John should be wrong, as their will be additional gravitational force. So when the string extents in length, the total force would be so great that the string will break.

Um... I think that my answers sound a bit strange :(

kittychg said:
I am recently doing an assignment for my broadening course. But I really don't know how to answer these questions as I only have basic knowledge for physics.

Hi kittychg! :smile:

How detailed is the physics in your broadening course? Have you done Newton's second law , or Hooke's law ? Have you done force diagrams ?

Yeah I did learn about the forces thing but it's a few years ago already. So I don't reli remember how to apply it...
I think the assignment is asking for preciseness, as there is word limit on each question @@

Q.1 70 words
Q.2 60 words
Q.3 60 words

Acatually is my direction to the answers correct?

kittychg said:
1. Explain why iron chain is not used as bungee jump string instead of an elastic cord.

2. If two identical bungee jump strings are tied to the jumper instead of one bungee jump string, what is the effect on the time for the jumper to bounce up from the minimum point to the equilibrium point for the first time? You may assume that Hooke's law is valid in the mentioned strings.

3. John says, 'It is safe to use a bungee jump string which can only provide a maximum tension (restoring force) just equal to the weight of person.' Comment on John's statement.
kittychg said:
Yeah I did learn about the forces thing but it's a few years ago already. So I don't reli remember how to apply it...
I think the assignment is asking for preciseness, as there is word limit on each question @@

Q.1 70 words
Q.2 60 words
Q.3 60 words
kittychg said:
Question1 should be linked to elasticity. As iron chain has less elasticity, it may exert greater force on the bungee jumper and cause damages to his body.

Question2 is related to hooke's law but i don't reli understand what it is about... I guess that the time would be halved as their will be two acting forces??

Question 3... the claim by John should be wrong, as their will be additional gravitational force. So when the string extents in length, the total force would be so great that the string will break.

1. You've only used one-third of your allowance, so talk about the height he will fall, and the velocity he will reach, and how the suddenness affects the acceleration.

2. Use Newton's second law and a force diagram to work out exactly what the answer is.

3. Add the forces to find the total tension, and do it at different parts of the fall. :smile:

Related to What Are the Physics Behind Bungee Jumping?

1. What is bungee jumping?

Bungee jumping is an extreme sport where a person jumps from a tall structure such as a bridge or platform while attached to a long elastic cord. The person then experiences a free-fall before the cord stretches and propels them back up.

2. Is bungee jumping safe?

Bungee jumping can be a safe activity when done properly by trained professionals. The equipment and cords used are carefully inspected and tested to ensure safety. However, there are always risks involved with any extreme sport, so it is important to follow all safety guidelines and choose a reputable bungee jumping company.

3. How high do you jump from during a bungee jump?

The height of a bungee jump can vary depending on the location and company. Some bungee jumps can be as low as 50 feet, while others can be as high as 1,000 feet. It is important to research and choose a jump that is suitable for your comfort level and experience.

4. Can anyone bungee jump?

Most bungee jumping companies have age and weight restrictions for safety reasons. Generally, participants must be at least 18 years old and weigh between 100-250 pounds. They may also require a signed waiver and proof of good health. It is important to check with the company beforehand to ensure you meet all necessary requirements.

5. What should I wear for a bungee jump?

It is recommended to wear comfortable, athletic clothing that allows for free movement. Closed-toe shoes are also required for safety reasons. Some bungee jumping companies may provide jumpsuits or specific clothing for the activity. It is best to check with the company beforehand to see if they have any specific dress requirements.