What are the phases present after quenching a sample of 1040 steel?

In summary, the conversation discusses the phases present in a sample of 1040 steel with 0.4% carbon content. Section 1A explores the equilibrium state at 870C, while Section 1B looks at slow cooling to just above 727C. Section 1C asks about the phases present during quenching, which may only result in alpha and Fe3C due to the rapid temperature decrease. This may cause difficulty in determining the exact phases present.
jetsetter

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/1996/graphyw.png

Homework Equations

[PLAIN]http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/4379/5400ad3870194a9786484cb.gif
[PLAIN]http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/2517/4bb673fefcbe473fa83e468.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I could use some assistance. It is the quenching that is giving me trouble. Considering that quenching consists of lowering the temperature of the sample quite quickly does that mean the phase present would just be alpha and Fe3C?

The Attempt at a Solution

Section 1A asked the following:
Consider a sample of 1040 steel - plain carbon steel with 0.4% carbon content. Let's heat the sample of 870C(1600F) and allow sufficient time for equilibrium.

I was able to determine that the phase present in that situation is gamma, carbon content of 0.4%, and a mass fraction of 1.

Section 1B asked the following:
Now let's slow (equilibrium) cool the sample to just above 727C(1343F) and allow sufficient time for equilibrium.

I was able to determine phases present are gamma and alpha, alpha 0.2% and gamma 0.77% carbon content, and alpha 0.493 and gamma 0.507 mass fraction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Section 1C asked:Now let's quench the sample from 870C(1600F).I'm having difficulty with this part. Considering that quenching consists of lowering the temperature of the sample quite quickly does that mean the phase present would just be alpha and Fe3C?

Related to What are the phases present after quenching a sample of 1040 steel?

What is a phase diagram?

A phase diagram is a graphical representation of the different phases or states of a material at different combinations of temperature and pressure. It shows the boundaries between different phases and the conditions under which a material can exist in a particular phase.

What are the different phases shown in a phase diagram?

The different phases shown in a phase diagram are solid, liquid, and gas. Some phase diagrams may also include additional phases such as plasma or supercritical fluid, depending on the material being studied.

What information can be obtained from a phase diagram?

A phase diagram provides information about the stability of different phases of a material at different conditions. It also shows the phase transitions, such as melting, boiling, and sublimation, that occur at different combinations of temperature and pressure.

How does pressure affect the phase diagram?

Pressure can affect the phase diagram by shifting the boundaries between different phases. For example, increasing pressure can cause a material to exist in a solid phase at a higher temperature than it would at lower pressures.

Why is a phase diagram important in materials science?

A phase diagram is important in materials science because it helps to understand the behavior of a material at different conditions. It can also help in the design and development of new materials with specific properties by predicting the conditions under which a desired phase can be obtained.