What are the Permutations of the word 'Saskatchewan'?

• Thread starter Dooga Blackrazor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Permutations
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of permutations, specifically in regards to the words "Saskatchewan," "interesting," and "Mississippi." It is noted that the number of permutations for a word with no repeating letters is equal to the factorial of the number of letters in the word. However, when there are repeating letters, the total number of permutations must be divided by the product of the factorials of the number of different repeating letters, in order to eliminate identical arrangements. This concept is further explained through examples and the general formula for finding permutations with repeating elements is mentioned. The purpose of dividing by factorials is also discussed.
Dooga Blackrazor
I missed the day when my teacher went over Permutations. If someone could help me with the questions below, that would be great.

What are the Permutations of the word "Saskatchewan"?

10 PrN(right?) 6 = The amount of different ways 10 units can be organized into 6 units?

6! = 6 x 5, 6 x 4 ... 6 x 1

8! / 9! = ? What is the purpose of using this and what does it mean?

Thanks~

Physics news on Phys.org
You must account for the repetitions of letters in the word.

"Saskatchewan" has 12 letters. If they were all different, the answer would be 12!

However, three of the letters are "a", 2 of the letters are "s" (we don't treat the "S" and "s" as different, do we?) so we could swap the "a"s around without changing the actual word- there are 3! ways to do that. Since we don't want to count those as different, we need to divide by 3! to cancel those. There are 2! ways swap only the "s"s so we also need to divide by 2!: The total number of ways to permute "Saskatchewan" is 12!/(3!2!) (or 12!/3! if the "S" and "s" are considered different.

No, 6! is not what you say: 6!= 6x 5x 4x 3x 2x 1 = 720.

8!/9! = 8x7x6x5x4x3x2x1/9x8x7x6x5x4x3x2x1= 1/9 since everything else cancels out.

I have no idea what your purpose is in using it!

How many ways can the letters of the following words be arranged?

Saskatchewan = 39916800
interesting = 2494800
Mississippi = 34650

I need to know how to find those answers. Thanks for your help so far. I'm going to take my Math book upstairs in a bit and stare at it for awhile, that might help.

The problem is equivalent to arranging P things of which m are alike of one kind, n are alike of another kind, and so on. As mentioned by Sirus earlier, you must account for the repititions in the letters. Once you know how to do this the general way is to plug the values of P, m, n etc into the formula. Since you have trouble understanding how it works, consider the total number of permutations of a word containing x alphabets (of which some may be alike and others distinct) which is x!. If there is at least one alphabet which repeats (say Q) then you will end up with permutations like QQ...or ...QQ... and so on. You can see that the Q's when together can be permuted or arranged in only one way because all of them are identical. But saying that x! is the total number of ways therefore includes these identical arrangements which we must weed out. Thats why you divide by the product of the factorials of the number of different alike things.

Related to What are the Permutations of the word 'Saskatchewan'?

1. What are permutations of the word 'Saskatchewan'?

There are a total of 3,628,800 permutations of the word 'Saskatchewan'.

2. How do you calculate the number of permutations for a word?

The number of permutations can be calculated using the formula n! / (n-r)! where n is the total number of letters in the word and r is the number of letters being arranged.

3. Are there any restrictions on the permutations of a word?

Yes, the letters in the word must remain in the same order as they appear in the original word. For example, in the word 'Saskatchewan', the letter 'a' cannot be placed before the letter 's' in any permutation.

4. Is there a difference between permutations and combinations?

Yes, permutations refer to the arrangement of objects in a specific order, while combinations refer to the selection of objects without considering the order. In the case of 'Saskatchewan', the permutations would include 'Saskatchewan' and 'katchewansS', while the combinations would only include 'Saskatchewan'.

5. Can we use permutations in real-life applications?

Yes, permutations are commonly used in fields such as mathematics, computer science, and statistics. They can be used to analyze and solve problems related to probability, genetics, and cryptography, among others.