What Are the Odds of All Canadian NHL Teams Missing the Playoffs?

• MHB
  • Thread starter A Rolfson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sports
In summary, the chances of all 7 Canadian NHL franchises finishing in the last 14 is approximately 0.2%, and the chances of all 7 of them finishing in the last 10 is approximately 0.006%. These probabilities were calculated by finding the total number of combinations for all 30 teams finishing in the last 14/10, and then finding the number of combinations where only Canadian teams are in the bottom 14/10. This was done using the formula for combinations and dividing the second number by the first to get the percentage.
A Rolfson
I am a writer trying to calculate possible outcomes in sports - specifically, relating to the NHL:

There are 30 teams in the league, my questions are:

All else being equal (ie. random draw), what are the chances of all 7 Canadian NHL franchises finishing in the last fourteen -meaning they're out of the playoffs - in a given year?

What are the chances of all 7 of them finishing in the last ten?

Never took math/prob-stats beyond high school, so any help would be appreciated, including tips or a formula for calculating such things myself.

Thanks,

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First I'm going to assume that the order they finish in the last 14/10 doesn't matter.

To find out the probability you calculate the number of total number of different of teams finishing in the last 14 (whether or not they are Canadian) which is given by:

\(\displaystyle {30 \choose 14}=145422675\)

Then figure out the number of combinations which have only the Canadian teams in the bottom 14:

\(\displaystyle {7 \choose 7} * {23 \choose 7}= 1 * 245157 = 245157\)

Note: The first term is because you have to choose all 7 Canadian teams from the 7 in the league and the second terms is because you are choosing the remaining 7 teams from the remaining 23 teams.

Then divide the second number by the first to get your percentage:

\(\displaystyle 245157 / 145422675 \approx 0.2\% \)

You do a similar calculation for the bottom 10:

\(\displaystyle {30 \choose 10}=30045015\)

\(\displaystyle {7 \choose 7} * {23 \choose 3}= 1 * 1771= 1771\)

\(\displaystyle 1771 / 30045015 \approx 0.006\% \)

Related to What Are the Odds of All Canadian NHL Teams Missing the Playoffs?

1. What is the best way to improve my performance in a specific sport?

Improving performance in a sport requires a combination of physical training, mental preparation, and proper nutrition. It is important to work on specific skills and techniques, as well as overall strength and conditioning. Working with a coach or trainer can also help identify areas for improvement and create a personalized training plan.

2. How can I prevent injuries while playing sports?

To prevent injuries, it is important to warm up properly before playing and to stretch after. It is also important to wear appropriate protective gear, such as helmets, pads, and supportive shoes. Staying hydrated and getting enough rest are also crucial for injury prevention. Proper form and technique can also help prevent injuries.

3. What is the best way to recover from a sports-related injury?

The first step in recovering from a sports injury is to seek medical attention and follow any treatment plans recommended by a healthcare professional. It is important to rest the injured area and gradually ease back into physical activity. Rehabilitation exercises and physical therapy may also be necessary for a full recovery.

4. How can I stay motivated to continue playing sports?

Motivation can be maintained by setting realistic goals for yourself and celebrating small achievements along the way. It can also be helpful to find a support system, whether it be a coach, teammates, or friends and family. Engaging in activities that you enjoy and keeping a positive attitude can also help with motivation.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid while training for a sport?

Some common mistakes to avoid while training for a sport include overtraining, not allowing for enough rest and recovery time, and neglecting proper nutrition. It is also important to avoid using incorrect form or technique, as this can lead to injuries. Listening to your body and knowing when to take breaks is crucial for avoiding burnout and staying healthy.