What are the non-zero Christoffel symbols for 2D polar coordinates?

In summary, the author found the christoffel symbols of the second kind for 2d polar coordinates and found that they are symmetric and non-zero when m and k are the same.
flaticus
Just started self teaching myself differential geometry and tried to find the christoffel symbols of the second kind for 2d polar coordinates. I am checking to see if I did everything correctly.

With a line element of:
mathtex.cgi?ds^2%20=%20dr^2%20+%20r^2%20d\theta^2.gif
therefore the metric should be:
nu}%20=%20\[%20\left(%20\begin{array}{cc}%201%20&%200%20\\%200%20&%20r^2%20\end{array}%20\right).gif
The christoffel symbols of the second kind can be found by:
tex.cgi?\Gamma^{m}_{ij}%20=%20\frac{1}{2}%20g^{mk}%20(%20g_{ki,j}%20+%20g_{kj,i}%20-%20g_{ij,k}).gif
And the non-zero christoffel symbols I found:

mathtex.cgi?\Gamma^{r}_{\theta\theta}%20=%20r.gif

mathtex.cgi?\Gamma^{\theta}_{r\theta}%20=%20\Gamma^{\theta}_{\theta%20r}%20=%20\frac{1}{r}.gif

I noticed since
mathtex.cgi?g^{mk}.gif
is symmetric it is non-zero when m=k so summing over k is not needed, i do not know if I missed anything by doing this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
flaticus said:
i do not know if I missed anything by doing this.

You didn't miss any non-zero christoffel symbols, but you need to check the sign of ##\Gamma^r_{\theta \theta}##.

PeterDonis said:
You didn't miss any non-zero christoffel symbols, but you need to check the sign of ##\Gamma^r_{\theta \theta}##.

Ahh, I see was just looking at christoffel equation while doing derivatives in head and forgot to carry the negative. Thank you.

Just a quick note, there are easier ways of getting the Christoffel symbols than inserting the metric into the expression from the Levi-Civita connection.

Orodruin said:
Just a quick note, there are easier ways of getting the Christoffel symbols than inserting the metric into the expression from the Levi-Civita connection.
I'm curious - whenever I do one by hand, I do as the OP did. What are these easier ways?

PAllen said:
I'm curious - whenever I do one by hand, I do as the OP did. What are these easier ways?

I would start by deriving the geodesic equations for the metric and identify the Christoffel symbols from there. Perhaps you do not find that simpler?

Edit: In the case of polar coordinates, minimise
$$
S = \int (r^2 \dot \phi^2 + \dot r^2) d\tau
$$
Euler-Lagrange equations give:
\begin{eqnarray}
\ddot r - r \dot\phi^2 &=& 0 \\
\ddot \phi + 2\frac{1}{r} \dot r \dot \phi &=& 0
\end{eqnarray}
Identification with ##\ddot x^\mu + \Gamma^\mu_{\nu\rho} \dot x^\nu \dot x^\rho = 0## along with the zero torsion of the Levi-Civita connection gives
$$
\Gamma^r_{\phi\phi} = - r, \quad \Gamma^\phi_{r\phi} = \Gamma^\phi_{\phi r} = \frac 1r.
$$

Last edited:
Likes PAllen and Dale
Good job! Now, go on to the sphere!

Actually, a bit harder would be for an ellipse or the surface of an ellipsoid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Orodruin said:
I would start by deriving the geodesic equations for the metric and identify the Christoffel symbols from there. Perhaps you do not find that simpler?

Edit: In the case of polar coordinates, minimise
$$
S = \int (r^2 \dot \phi^2 + \dot r^2) d\tau
$$
Euler-Lagrange equations give:
\begin{eqnarray}
\ddot r - r \dot\phi^2 &=& 0 \\
\ddot \phi + 2\frac{1}{r} \dot r \dot \phi &=& 0
\end{eqnarray}
Identification with ##\ddot x^\mu + \Gamma^\mu_{\nu\rho} \dot x^\nu \dot x^\rho = 0## along with the zero torsion of the Levi-Civita connection gives
$$
\Gamma^r_{\phi\phi} = - r, \quad \Gamma^\phi_{r\phi} = \Gamma^\phi_{\phi r} = \frac 1r.
$$
No, I just never thought of doing it that way. Since Euler-Lagrange are used to derive the general geodesic equation with Christoffel symbols, it really never occurred to me that for simple metrics their direct application would be simpler than the general definition.

PAllen said:
No, I just never thought of doing it that way. Since Euler-Lagrange are used to derive the general geodesic equation with Christoffel symbols, it really never occurred to me that for simple metrics their direct application would be simpler than the general definition.
To be honest I think it is even more simplifying for worse metrics (in particular off-diagonal ones), where otherwise you would have a large number of terms and partial derivatives of the metric to compute and keep track of. I have not done the counting, but I do believe that this approach significantly reduces the amount of necessary book keeping. Although you will still need to compute the same derivatives, it somehow feels lighter that you do not have to write them down more than once and the book keeping of knowing which derivative goes where is handled automagically.

Orodruin said:
To be honest I think it is even more simplifying for worse metrics (in particular off-diagonal ones), where otherwise you would have a large number of terms and partial derivatives of the metric to compute and keep track of. I have not done the counting, but I do believe that this approach significantly reduces the amount of necessary book keeping. Although you will still need to compute the same derivatives, it somehow feels lighter that you do not have to write them down more than once and the book keeping of knowing which derivative goes where is handled automagically.
That makes a lot of sense. For transforming the metric from one set of coordinates to another, I basically never use the Jacobian definition; I substitute in the physicists metric short hand. It just never occurred to me that using Euler-Lagrange would avoid lots of bookkeeping for computation of Christoffel symbols. A years PF contribution is now paid for in saved computation.

Likes Orodruin
HallsofIvy said:
Good job! Now, go on to the sphere!

Actually, a bit harder would be for an ellipse or the surface of an ellipsoid.
For spherical coordinates this is what I found:
##ds^2 = dr^2 + r^2 d\theta^2 + r^2 sin\theta^2 d\phi^2##

##\Gamma^r_{\theta \theta} = -r \\
\Gamma^r_{\phi \phi} = -rsin^2 \theta \\
\Gamma^\theta_{r \theta} = \Gamma^\theta_{\theta r} = \frac{1}{r} \\
\Gamma^\theta_{\phi \phi} = -sin\theta cos\theta \\
\Gamma^\phi_{r \phi} = \Gamma^\phi_{\phi r} = \frac{1}{r} \\
\Gamma^\phi_{\theta \phi} = \Gamma^\phi_{\phi \theta} = cot\theta ##

Related to What are the non-zero Christoffel symbols for 2D polar coordinates?

1. What is the metric of polar coordinates?

The metric of polar coordinates is a mathematical function that determines the distance between two points in a polar coordinate system. It takes into account the radial distance and angular displacement between the two points.

2. Why is the metric of polar coordinates important?

The metric of polar coordinates is important because it allows us to measure distances and angles in a polar coordinate system, which is commonly used in many scientific and mathematical applications. It also helps us to understand and analyze the geometric properties of curves and surfaces in polar coordinates.

3. How is the metric of polar coordinates calculated?

The metric of polar coordinates is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse (the distance between two points) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides (the radial and angular distances). This can be expressed mathematically as ds² = dr² + r²dθ², where ds is the distance, dr is the change in radial distance, and dθ is the change in angular displacement.

4. Can the metric of polar coordinates be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, the metric of polar coordinates can be generalized to higher dimensions. In three-dimensional space, it is known as the spherical metric, and in n-dimensional space, it is known as the hyperspherical metric. The formula for calculating the distance between two points in these systems is similar to the formula for polar coordinates, but with additional terms for each additional dimension.

5. How is the metric of polar coordinates related to other coordinate systems?

The metric of polar coordinates is closely related to other coordinate systems, such as Cartesian coordinates and cylindrical coordinates. In fact, polar coordinates can be thought of as a special case of cylindrical coordinates, where the height component is fixed at 0. The metric of polar coordinates can also be converted to other coordinate systems using mathematical transformations.