What are the names of these formulas in EM

In summary, the conversation is about two formulas written on a blackboard by the instructor of an EM course. The formulas involve V and \vec{A}, which give V and \vec{A} given \vec{E} and \vec{B}. The names of these formulas are the scalar and vector potentials of the E- and B-fields, respectively. The formulas also have a time-dependent version, but there is some disagreement about whether they are correct. These formulas are simply the definition of the potentials in integral form, and do not have any special names. The choice of contour for integration is a gauge choice and can change the potential, but the difference between different contours is nothing more than a (possibly vanishing) total gradient.
sokratesla
# Hi
# My instructor of EM course wrote two formulas on the blackboard and asked whether they are correct and what their names are. (He does not know the answers too)
# These formulas give [tex]V[/tex] and [tex]\vec{A}[/tex], given [tex]\vec{E}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{B}[/tex]

[tex] V(\vec{r},t) = - \vec{r} \cdot \int_{0}^{1} d\lambda \vec{E}(\lambda\vec{r},t) [/tex]

[tex] \vec{A}(\vec{r},t) = - \vec{r} \times \int_{0}^{1} \lambda d\lambda \vec{B}(\lambda\vec{r},t) [/tex]

# If we'll learn their names we can continue to investigate the subject further.
# Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The things on the left are called (in order) the scalar and vector potentials of the E- and B-fields.

Gokul43201 said:
The things on the left are called (in order) the scalar and vector potentials of the E- and B-fields.

# Thanks. But I know the names of V and A. :-) We need the names of these formulas which involve the variable [tex]\lambda[/tex].

I didn't read it carefully. I thought [itex]\lambda[/itex] was just a scalar multiplier of the unit vector along the position direction that produces the position vector: [itex]\vec{r} = |\vec{r}| \hat{r} \equiv \lambda \hat{r}[/itex]. That is not the case.

[tex] V(\vec{r}) = - \int_{\vec{r}_0}^{\vec{r}} d\vec{r}' \cdot \vec{E}(\vec{r}') [/tex]

[tex] \vec{A}(\vec{r}) = - \int_{\vec{r}_0}^{\vec{r}} d\vec{r}' \times \vec{B}(\vec{r}') [/tex]

These formulas are not what you gave, but they are close. They don't have names. They are simply the definition of the time-independent scalar and vector potential (in integral form rather than the usual differential form) in a particular gauge. It's easy enough to check if they're correct: take the gradient of the first, curl of the second and see if they repoduce the correct answer. Your formulas are the same as mine with the additional constraint that [itex]\vec{r}'=\lambda\vec{r}[/itex] with [itex]\vec{r}_0=\vec{0}[/itex]. This is fine, since changing the path in the contour integral is the same as a gauge transformation.

The time-dependence is a little trickier. I'm not sure if what you wrote down was correct since there's a [itex]\frac{d\vec{A}}{dt}[/itex] term you're not taking into account. Although I admit it's been a while...

But to answer your question: No, they don't have any special names. They're just the definition of potential written in integral form rather than differential form.

blechman said:
Your formulas are the same as mine with the additional constraint that [itex]\vec{r}'=\lambda\vec{r}[/itex] with [itex]\vec{r}_0=\vec{0}[/itex].
This is what I first thought, but it appears the second integral has an extra [itex]\lambda[/itex] in it, no?

Also, the path chosen appears to be a straight line.

Gokul43201 said:
This is what I first thought, but it appears the second integral has an extra [itex]\lambda[/itex] in it, no?

oh, you're right. That extra [itex]\lambda[/itex] shouldn't be there!

Also, the path chosen appears to be a straight line.

that's okay - it's just a gauge choice.

blechman said:
oh, you're right. That extra [itex]\lambda[/itex] shouldn't be there!

that's okay - it's just a gauge choice.
That is not what a gauge choice is. The choice of gauge changes the potential. What curve you evaluate it over is something altogether different. If the curve is closed then the integral for V vanishes regardless of the gauge you choose.

What exactly do you think the term gauge means anyway?

Pete

pmb_phy said:
That is not what a gauge choice is. The choice of gauge changes the potential. What curve you evaluate it over is something altogether different. If the curve is closed then the integral for V vanishes regardless of the gauge you choose.

What exactly do you think the term gauge means anyway?

Pete

Go back and review your vector calculus. If you perform the integration along different paths (for example, paths that start at different [itex]\vec{r}_0[/itex]; or paths that wrap around line charges), you will get different potentials. However, you can show that the difference between the integrals along path one and path two are in fact nothing more than a (possibly but not necessarely vanishing) total gradient. This is what I, and everyone else, means when we say gauge.

Perhaps a better way to say it is: if you change your contour of integration, you can at most only change your gauge choice. Is that better?

Last edited:

Related to What are the names of these formulas in EM

What are the names of these formulas in EM?

The formulas in EM refer to a set of equations used in the study of electromagnetism. These equations are known as Maxwell's equations, named after the physicist James Clerk Maxwell who first derived them in the 19th century.

What are the main components of Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations consist of four main equations: Gauss's law, Gauss's law for magnetism, Faraday's law, and Ampere's law. These equations describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, and how they are affected by charges and currents.

What is the significance of Maxwell's equations in the field of electromagnetism?

Maxwell's equations are considered to be one of the most fundamental and important equations in physics. They provide a complete framework for understanding the behavior of electric and magnetic fields and their interactions with matter. These equations have been essential in the development of modern technologies such as radio, television, and wireless communication.

Are there any variations or modifications of Maxwell's equations?

There are several variations and modifications of Maxwell's equations, depending on the specific context or field of study. Some examples include the addition of displacement currents, which led to the discovery of electromagnetic waves, and the introduction of quantum mechanics, which resulted in the quantum version of Maxwell's equations.

How are Maxwell's equations used in practical applications?

Maxwell's equations are used in a wide range of practical applications, including the design of electrical circuits, the development of communication technologies, and the understanding of how light and other electromagnetic waves behave. They are also used in various fields such as engineering, astronomy, and medical imaging.