What are the Names of the Points on a Space Elevator's Path?

• Thread starter Eagle9
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the Space Elevator has four orbital nodes which are points where the counterweight reaches its highest or lowest elevation in space.
Eagle9
Good day!
On the image depicted below you see the Earth and Space Elevator, both they are tilted to plane of ecliptic at 23 degrees. The plane of ecliptic is shown as dark-green circle, Earth’s equator-grey ring and big red ring is the imaginary path drawn by the Space Elevator’s counterweight (there is inscription “Space Elevator”) at the certain altitude.

You can also see four yellow balls placed at that red ring. They are placed at some certain point of the ring, more precisely balls 0 and 180 are placed at this ring and at the plane of ecliptic at the same time, in other words they are placed exactly at the points where the red ring crosses plane of ecliptic (this can happen only at two places). Ball 90 is placed at the point where the red ring occupies the highest position in space (relative to the plane of ecliptic), ball 270-the lowest position.

I would like to know this: when I write that the Earth (with the Space Elevator) rotates around its axis the counterweight reaches these four point during 24 hours, so what do we call these points/balls? What can I write in my paper when I want to state that the counterweight reached on of these points? As far as I know balls 0 and 180 are called orbital nodes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_node), what about the points 90 and 270? :)
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/6884/15237974.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
The 0 and 180 points are in fact called the orbital nodes - 0 would be the ascending node and 180 the descending node. If the other two have formal names, I have not been able to find them. I have sometimes heard them referred to as the point of maximum elevation and the point of maximum depression.

phyzguy said:
The 0 and 180 points are in fact called the orbital nodes - 0 would be the ascending node and 180 the descending node. If the other two have formal names, I have not been able to find them. I have sometimes heard them referred to as the point of maximum elevation and the point of maximum depression.

Maximum elevation
Maximum depression
It’s interesting :wink: I tried to find some information about these terms (regarding astronomy) in Wikipedia, Google but I could not, could you please tell me where did you hear/see about them?

No, I don't have a reference. That was just from memory and may not be accurate. But I'm sure about the other two (ascending and descending nodes).

phyzguy said:
No, I don't have a reference. That was just from memory and may not be accurate. But I'm sure about the other two (ascending and descending nodes).

Me too, but I would like to be sure regarding points 90 and 270 :wink:

What do other people in this forum say about this? Do you think that it would be OK if in my paper I write something like this: “When the Space Elevator’s counterweight reaches Maximum elevation/depression……………..” :smile:

Related to What are the Names of the Points on a Space Elevator's Path?

1. What are these points called?

The points are typically referred to as data points or coordinates.

2. What is the purpose of labeling these points?

The labels on the points help to identify and differentiate them from other points in a graph or data set.

3. How do we determine what to label these points?

The labels on the points are typically determined by the data being represented and the conventions of the specific field of study.

4. Is there a standard naming convention for these points?

There is no universal standard for labeling points, but there are common conventions used in different fields such as using letters, numbers, or symbols.

5. Can the labels on these points change?

Yes, the labels on the points can be changed if there is new data or information that warrants a different labeling system.