What are the most important classes for a future PhD in physics or mathematics?

In summary, if you want to pursue a career in theoretical physics or mathematics, you should take all the required math and physics courses before taking any of the electives that are relevant to your career goal. If you want to pursue a career in another field, then you can take any of the electives that are relevant to your career goal.
uncfelt1147
So next semester I am studying one section of the Philosophy of Physics at Oxford. This is paid for through my college; thus I can only take 9-12 hours (I am going the third term which doesn't start until late April). I am already a little behind because I had trouble deciding and have three majors (Philosophy, Physics, and Mathematics). Thus, my question is, what should I take next semester. My choices are: One philosophy (to finish my major), then my choice of dynamics, optics, electronics, Calculus III, complex analysis, ordinary differential, and linear algebra. I can only take 2 or 3 of these classes (minus philosophy) so I am trying to decide which are the most important. Input?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you'd have to provide more information for anyone to help you out.

First, what ones do you REQUIRE for your major? Or are you into all elective courses now? Are any of those prerequisites for the others, or for any other course you will still need to take? If so, those of course need to be given highest priority.

Otherwise, once all your requirement issues are addressed, what are you planning to do with your triple major? Your ultimate career goal might give clues of which is more important.

If major requirements and career goals don't give any insight (i.e., you've already taken all the courses offered that are relevant to what you want to do for a career), then just pick whichever sounds most interesting to you.

Yeah, I figured I didn't give enough information. I really HAVE to have all of those classes. I am planning to either go to graduate school for a PhD in either theoretical physics or pure mathematics. I will end up taking all of the classes. I guess my question has more to do with order. For example, would it be a big deal if I didn't take Dynamics (because I wouldn't be able to take it again for another year)? Should I get as much Math done as possible before taking more upper-level physics classes?

Related to What are the most important classes for a future PhD in physics or mathematics?

1. What is an "Interesting Class Dilemma"?

An "Interesting Class Dilemma" refers to a situation or problem that arises in a classroom setting that is thought-provoking and challenges students to think critically and creatively.

2. How can an "Interesting Class Dilemma" be beneficial for students?

An "Interesting Class Dilemma" can be beneficial for students as it helps to develop their critical thinking skills, encourages them to think outside the box, and fosters a deeper understanding of complex concepts.

3. How can teachers create an "Interesting Class Dilemma"?

Teachers can create an "Interesting Class Dilemma" by presenting students with open-ended questions or scenarios that have multiple solutions or interpretations. They can also incorporate real-world examples or problems into their lessons.

4. Are there any specific subject areas that an "Interesting Class Dilemma" works best for?

An "Interesting Class Dilemma" can be applied to any subject area, as long as the problem or question presented is thought-provoking and challenges students to think critically and creatively.

5. How can an "Interesting Class Dilemma" be used in group work or discussions?

An "Interesting Class Dilemma" can be used in group work or discussions by having students work together to come up with solutions or interpretations. This can also lead to lively and engaging discussions among students as they share their thoughts and ideas.