What are the mathematical concepts used to describe angles in three dimensions?

In summary, the mathematics behind describing angles in three dimensions is similar to that of describing angles in two dimensions, using theta and r in relation to a designated "zero line" and the origin. However, in addition to these two angles, a third angle is added, usually phi, which is known as the "vertical angle". It has been observed that the accuracy of calculations, particularly with the use of 'acos', decreases significantly near pi, but remains accurate near pi/2.
Nano-Passion
We usually describe angles in two dimensions (x and y plane). What is the mathematics behind three dimensions?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Nano-Passion said:
We usually describe angles in two dimensions (x and y plane). What is the mathematics behind three dimensions?
I don't get it. You're an undergrad in physics and you're asking this question? Why don't you already know?

It's really no different. When you talk about the angle between things in three dimensions, you can think of them as being on some plane oriented in those three dimensions and then think about the angle in relation to that plane, just as you would with the familiar x-y plane...

Actually, I'd say we usually describe angles in two-dimensions with theta and r. That is, an angle from the designated "zero line", and a distance from the origin. In three dimensions, we simply add another angle, usually phi, that I call the "vertical angle", or the angle between the line and the x-y plane.

Jocko Homo said:
I don't get it. You're an undergrad in physics and you're asking this question? Why don't you already know?

It's really no different. When you talk about the angle between things in three dimensions, you can think of them as being on some plane oriented in those three dimensions and then think about the angle in relation to that plane, just as you would with the familiar x-y plane...

I'm in Calculus based Classical Mechanics at the moment. We haven't gone into figuring out angles in three-dimensions.

Char. Limit said:
Actually, I'd say we usually describe angles in two-dimensions with theta and r. That is, an angle from the designated "zero line", and a distance from the origin. In three dimensions, we simply add another angle, usually phi, that I call the "vertical angle", or the angle between the line and the x-y plane.

I'm surprised its that simple. I've read around and seen that sometimes the math isn't incredibly accurate (such as near pi with using cos).

As you see, there is a very distinct loss of accuracy in 'acos' for angles
near pi. Some seven entire decimal places have been lost - that is,
errors are several million times as large as normal. On the other hand,
the angle near pi/2 yields the customary 1 in 2^52 accuracy.

In three dimensions, angles are described using three coordinates (x, y, and z) instead of just two. This allows for a more accurate representation of the angle in space. The mathematics behind three dimensions involves using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent to calculate the angle between two vectors or lines in three-dimensional space. Additionally, the Pythagorean theorem is used to find the length of the hypotenuse in a right triangle in three dimensions. Other mathematical concepts such as vectors, dot products, and cross products are also used to calculate angles in three dimensions. Overall, the mathematics behind three dimensions allows us to accurately measure and describe angles in a three-dimensional space, which is crucial in many fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics.

Related to What are the mathematical concepts used to describe angles in three dimensions?

1. What are angles in three dimensions?

Angles in three dimensions are angles that exist in three-dimensional space, meaning they involve three mutually perpendicular axes (x, y, and z). These angles are used to describe the orientation and rotation of objects in three-dimensional space.

2. How are angles in three dimensions measured?

Angles in three dimensions are typically measured using degrees or radians. Degrees are the most common unit of measurement and are based on dividing a circle into 360 equal parts. Radians are a mathematical unit of measurement based on the radius of a circle and are commonly used in advanced mathematics and physics.

3. What is the difference between a positive and negative angle in three dimensions?

A positive angle in three dimensions is measured counterclockwise from the reference axis, while a negative angle is measured clockwise. This convention is used to maintain consistency in mathematical calculations and ensure accurate results.

4. How do angles in three dimensions affect the shape and orientation of objects?

Angles in three dimensions play a crucial role in determining the shape and orientation of objects in space. They can be used to describe the rotation of objects around a specific axis, the tilt of surfaces, and the direction of forces acting on objects.

5. What real-world applications use angles in three dimensions?

Angles in three dimensions have numerous real-world applications, including architecture, engineering, and computer graphics. They are also used in navigation and GPS technology, robotics, and video game development. Additionally, angles in three dimensions are essential in physics for understanding motion, energy, and forces.