What are the magnitudes of the two force components?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a resultant force and two other forces, with known angles and a total force in the x direction. The individual attempts to solve the problem by writing equations for the total force in the x and y direction, but becomes confused and unsure of how to proceed. The suggested solution involves using algebra to solve for the unknown forces, potentially through the elimination of variables method.
Ryuk1990

Homework Statement

There is a resultant force going towards the positive x-axis at 500 lbf. Force 1 is going 45 degrees above the positive x axis. Force 2 is going 30 degrees below the positive x axis. What are magnitudes of Force 1 and Force 2?

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote up equations for total Force X and total Force Y.

Force X: F1*sin45 + F2*cos30 = 500

Force Y: F1*sin45 - F2*sin30 = 0

So from Force X, I know that F1 = (500 - F2*cos30)/sin45.

I applied that to Force Y so [(500 - F2 *cos30)/sin45] * sin45 = F2 sin30

I got totally confused at this point and I have no idea what to do. Am I even setting this up right?

Physics news on Phys.org
That equation looks OK...you need to solve it for F2, and once F2 is known, solve for F1. You did the physics part...now it's just algebra. Rather than use the substitution method to solve for 2 equations with 2 unknowns, it might be easier to use the 'elimination of variables' method to solve for F2 by subtracting the 2nd equation from the first, which eliminates the F1 term, and allows you to solve for F2 fairly simply.

Related to What are the magnitudes of the two force components?

1. What is the meaning of force components?

The force components refer to the individual forces acting in different directions on an object. These forces can be broken down into two components: the horizontal component and the vertical component.

2. How can the magnitudes of force components be calculated?

The magnitudes of the force components can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine. The horizontal component can be calculated using the formula Fx = F * cosθ, while the vertical component can be calculated using Fy = F * sinθ, where F is the total force and θ is the angle of the force with respect to the horizontal axis.

3. What does the magnitude of the force components represent?

The magnitude of the force components represents the amount of force acting in each direction. It can also be thought of as the strength of the force acting in that particular direction.

4. Is it possible for the magnitude of one force component to be greater than the other?

Yes, it is possible for one force component to be greater than the other. This depends on the direction and angle of the force acting on the object. For example, if the force is acting at a steep angle, the vertical component may be larger than the horizontal component.

5. How do force components affect the overall motion of an object?

The force components affect the overall motion of an object by determining its direction and speed. The horizontal component determines the object's horizontal motion, while the vertical component determines its vertical motion. The combination of these two components determines the overall motion of the object.