What are the initial velocities of two vehicles after a glancing collision?

• Thread starter njuice8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collisions
In summary, a glancing collision is a type of collision where two objects collide at an angle, rather than head-on. The angle of a glancing collision can be determined using the law of reflection and the outcome can be affected by factors such as the masses and velocities of the objects. Glancing collisions can be either perfectly elastic or inelastic, and can be solved using the principles of conservation of momentum and energy.
njuice8
Vehicle A (1400-kg) traveling 60˚ north of east collides with Vehicle B (1000-kg) traveling North. After the collision Vehicle A is moving at 12.13 m/s at 35˚ from its original path. Vehicle B is moving at 10.85 m/s at 10˚ from its original path. Find the initial velocities of both vehicles.

I attached a picture of my work

I attempted this problem, and got Va=0.58m/s and Vb=269m/s
I don't think this answer is right, so I was wondering if someone could help me? Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC02838.jpg
    DSC02838.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 420
Physics news on Phys.org
Your working and numbers look fine to me.

Related to What are the initial velocities of two vehicles after a glancing collision?

1. What is a glancing collision?

A glancing collision is a type of collision where two objects collide at an angle, rather than head-on. This can result in a change in the direction and speed of both objects.

2. How is the angle of a glancing collision determined?

The angle of a glancing collision can be determined using the law of reflection, which states that the angle of incidence (incoming angle) is equal to the angle of reflection (outgoing angle).

3. What factors affect the outcome of a glancing collision?

The outcome of a glancing collision can be affected by the masses and velocities of the objects involved, as well as the angle of collision and any external forces acting on the objects.

4. Can glancing collisions be perfectly elastic or inelastic?

Yes, glancing collisions can be either perfectly elastic or inelastic, depending on the properties of the objects involved. In a perfectly elastic collision, kinetic energy is conserved, while in an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost.

5. How are glancing collision problems solved?

Glancing collision problems can be solved using the principles of conservation of momentum and conservation of energy. These equations can be used to determine the final velocities and directions of the objects after the collision.