What are the implications of studying logic?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Chris L T521
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic Study
In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of studying logic in a general education math course. The speaker is seeking practical reasons for why one should study logic, especially for students who are not mathematically inclined. One example provided is the concept of implication, where understanding logic can help determine if a promise has been kept or broken based on certain conditions.
Chris L T521
Gold Member
MHB
Hello everyone,

I have a question that seems simple at first but is "hard" for me to answer. I'm teaching a general education math course at a community college next semester, and one of the key components to that course is symbolic logic. I'm pretty confident in my knowledge and ability to teach basic logic. However, I want to come up with an answer to the question "why are we studying logic?" because I'm pretty certain that someone will ask it in class. Besides answering "being able to analyze the truth values of statements and to determine the validity of arguments", what other things can be said?

Please keep in mind that the demographic for this course isn't really the mathematically inclined (it's a general education requirement, so it's not really just math or science students taking this course; students from all other areas of study will be taking this course, too), so I want to come up with more practical ("real world") reasons as to why one should study logic. If anyone could provide a couple different examples that answer this question, I would be very appreciative!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Chris!

I don't know if this is what you're seeking,
but this was part of my presentation on Implication.

Consider the statement:
$\quad$If you get a 95 on the final, then you will get an $\mathbb A.$

Under what circumstances will I have kept my promise,
and under what circumstances will I have lied?

Case 1: You get a 95 on the final and you get an $\mathbb A.$
$\quad$ No problem ... I've kept my promise.

Case 2: You get a 95 and you do not get an $\mathbb A.$
$\quad$ Bad news ... I broke my promise.

Case 3: You do not get 95 and you get an $\mathbb A.$
$\quad$ This is possible; maybe you got a 98.

Case 4: You do not get 95 and you do not get an $\mathbb A.$
$\quad$ This is also possible; maybe you flunked the final,
$\quad$ but still got a $\mathbb B.$I have broken my promise only in Case 2.
My promise states what will happen if you get 95.
It does not say what happens if you do not get 95.

Related to What are the implications of studying logic?

1. Why is logic important in scientific research?

Logic is essential in scientific research because it allows scientists to think critically and make logical conclusions based on evidence. It helps to identify flaws or errors in reasoning, ensures accuracy and validity of results, and allows for the development of sound arguments.

2. How does studying logic improve problem-solving skills?

Studying logic helps to develop analytical and critical thinking skills, which are essential for problem-solving. It teaches one to break down complex problems into smaller components, identify patterns and connections, and make logical deductions to arrive at a solution.

3. What impact does logic have on decision-making?

Logic plays a crucial role in decision-making as it helps to evaluate different options, assess their strengths and weaknesses, and make rational choices based on evidence and reasoning. It prevents impulsive decisions and ensures that decisions are based on sound logic.

4. How can studying logic enhance communication skills?

Studying logic helps to improve communication skills as it teaches one to think and express ideas in a clear, organized, and logical manner. It enables one to present arguments and counterarguments effectively, listen critically, and identify fallacies in others' arguments.

5. How does logic contribute to personal and professional growth?

Logic is a fundamental aspect of critical thinking, which is crucial for personal and professional growth. By studying logic, one can develop a better understanding of the world, think more critically and creatively, and make informed decisions. It also helps in developing problem-solving, communication, and decision-making skills, which are essential in any career or personal endeavor.