What are the generalized coordinates for the suspended rod Lagrangian?

In summary, the problem involves a thin rod of length 2b suspended by 2 light strings attached to the ceiling. The generalized coordinates x, y1, and y2 are used to represent the longitudinal and horizontal displacements of the rod's ends. The Lagrangian of the system can be written using these coordinates, assuming small displacements from equilibrium and making a small angle approximation. However, there may be some missing terms and it is unclear whether the coordinates or the angle should be used as the generalized coordinates.
Sswift

Homework Statement

A thin rod of length 2b is suspended by 2 light strings both attached to the ceiling. Using x, y1, y2 as your generalized coordinates right down the lagrangian of the system. Where x is the longitudinal displacement of the rod and y1 and y2 are the horizontal displacements of the ends.

Homework Equations

The strings remain taught and displacements from equilibrium are small

The Attempt at a Solution

If θ Is the angle that one of the strings makes with the vertical and we make a small angle approximation then θ= (x^2 +y^2)/l but and the height above the equilibrium position is equal to l(1-cos θ) which is approximately equal to l(θ^2), but this gives me a bunch of very small terms which I don't think is correct

Physics news on Phys.org
. I know I am missing something, do I take the coordinates as the generalized coordinates instead of the angle?

Related to What are the generalized coordinates for the suspended rod Lagrangian?

What is the Lagrangian of a suspended rod?

The Lagrangian of a suspended rod is a mathematical function that represents the total energy of the system. It takes into account the kinetic and potential energy of the rod, as well as any external forces acting on it.

How is the Lagrangian of a suspended rod calculated?

The Lagrangian of a suspended rod is calculated using the Lagrangian formalism, which involves determining the kinetic and potential energy of the system and then using the Euler-Lagrange equations to find the equations of motion.

What is the significance of the Lagrangian in studying suspended rods?

The Lagrangian is a crucial tool in studying suspended rods because it allows for a more simplified and elegant approach to solving the equations of motion. It also provides a deeper understanding of the physical principles at play in the system.

How does the Lagrangian change if the rod is not perfectly straight?

If the rod is not perfectly straight, the Lagrangian will include additional terms that take into account the bending and curvature of the rod. This makes the calculation more complex, but it still follows the same general principles as the Lagrangian for a straight rod.

Can the Lagrangian be used to study other types of systems besides suspended rods?

Yes, the Lagrangian can be used to study a wide variety of physical systems, including particles, rigid bodies, and complex mechanical systems. It is a versatile tool that is widely used in the fields of physics and engineering.