What are the frequency and maximum velocity of a wheel rolling without slipping?

In summary, the problem involves determining the frequency and maximum velocity of a wheel (which rolls without slipping) given initial displacement of 0.5 in. The equations used are the moment balance and force balance, and the angular velocity can be determined from the spring's position as a function of time. The frequency can then be calculated from the angular velocity, and the velocity can be found using the initial conditions. The weight given must be converted to slugs for the mass.
stinlin

Homework Statement

W = 20 lb
k = 50 lb/ft
r = 4 in.
Initially displaced 0.5 in.

Determine the frequency and maximum velocity of the wheel (which rolls without slipping).

Homework Equations

(theta) double dot + (w^2)theta = 0
(x) double dot + (w^2) (x) = 0

t = 2*pi / w

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote out the initial information. The amplitude is 0.5 in. I didn't know which equation to use (the one with theta or with x). But I used the one with x and wrote out the moment balance and force balance, only to find that I was off.

I thought to use the theta equation, but I cannot figure out where to go with it. I know alpha = theta double dot. x = r(theta), but I don't know where to go from that either.

Any help and direction would be awesome! I have 2 other problems, but just understanding this one might get me going on the others.

Attachments

• wheel.JPG
    wheel.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 317
Physics news on Phys.org
What level of physics is this? So the x equation will give you the spring's position as a function of time. Coincidentally, the angular velocity the spring moves with must also be the angular velocity of the wheel because the end of the spring is the center of wheel, and the center of the wheel determines the angular velocity.

The frequency can be determined from the angular velocity, and velocity from position and initial conditions (are you to assume the initial velocity is 0?).

Also, I think you are given a weight, which you will have to convert to slugs for the mass.

This is an engineering Dynamics course. :-p And yes, I'm assuming it to start from rest.

Related to What are the frequency and maximum velocity of a wheel rolling without slipping?

What is rigid body oscillation?

Rigid body oscillation is a type of motion where a solid object rotates or vibrates around an axis or point without any change in its shape.

What causes rigid body oscillation?

Rigid body oscillation is caused by an external force acting on a solid object, causing it to rotate or vibrate around an axis or point.

What is the difference between rigid body oscillation and simple harmonic motion?

Rigid body oscillation involves the rotation or vibration of a solid object, while simple harmonic motion involves the back and forth motion of a single point or particle.

How is rigid body oscillation measured?

Rigid body oscillation can be measured by the frequency and amplitude of the oscillation, as well as the moment of inertia and angular velocity of the object.

What are some real-life examples of rigid body oscillation?

Some real-life examples of rigid body oscillation include the rotation of a spinning top, the swinging of a pendulum, and the vibration of a guitar string.